Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS Forums

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,734Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  9:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tmsocha to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for web-sites or forum which have members that are strictly believers in ANACS slabs and grading standards. I just think PCGS is in for their shareholders.

Thanks
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no lover of PCGS, but there was a long period when they were the strictest graders among the TPG's.

ANACS standards have varied over the years; if you believe in their standards, from what years are you drawing your conclusions? They are currently grading quite possibly the most strictly of any TPG, a good thing for numismatics in my opinion but not so hot if you're submitting coins you wish to sell. Unequivocal fandom is unjustifiable given the track records and foibles of each major TPG.

I believe you will find clear-headed individuals here, people who will state things as they see them and not speak from an unvarying bias towards anything but the coins themselves. Is this what you seek?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2010  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are currently grading quite possibly the most strictly of any TPG, a good thing for numismatics in my opinion but not so hot if you're submitting coins you wish to sell.

I can agree with that. A friend just got 2 boxes of coins back from ANACS. Needless to say, he got hammered on half of the silver entries. One commemorative in particular came out of a PCGS 64 holder and came back MS60 details. Not a good day at all. nlp
Pillar of the Community
United States
5372 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know the ANACS policy about reholdering coins that are in older-generation ANACS slabs? I have an MS-60 Classic cent in a blue-labeled ANACS slab. Neither PCGS nor NGC would cross it into their slab at MS-60. Would ANACS necessarily put it in their new slab at the same grade? If they decide it doesn't meet current standards for MS-60 would they down-grade it and reimburse me for the fair-market value difference?
Edited by Jaobler
12/26/2010 01:11 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tmsocha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unequivocal fandom is unjustifiable given the track records and foibles of each major TPG.

So far when I read about PCGS and NGC writters seem to find no flaws with these TPG. Did PCGS or NGC ever had a period in grading their coins?

If it sounds too good to be true then it is.

I know buy the coin not the slab. However, seems like ANACS coin are always being cross-over to PCGS or NGC.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
seems like ANACS coin are always being cross-over to PCGS or NGC.

I have had minimal success crossing old ANAXS slabs at the same grade that was on the ANACS label to either NGC or PCGS but from my experience the new yellow slabs may have some coins in them that could possibly upgrade there. Even allot in Blue label ANACS will not cross at either NGC or PCGS at the same grade thats on the label from ANACS
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2010  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So far when I read about PCGS and NGC writters seem to find no flaws with these TPG. Did PCGS or NGC ever had a period in grading their coins?

All 3 of them have been all over the map, for years. Each of them have their fans and their enemies; if you haven't heard anyone badmouth PCGS then you haven't heard much from me yet.

But grading is a subjective business. Furthermore, it's a business - they need to make a buck doing it. Both of these factors introduce chances for error we have to allow for. Nobody will always get it right, every time, and it's the mistakes which get the press, not the successes.

I share your opinion of ANACS, my position regarding PCGS is clear, but we all have to keep from getting too breathless about it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they decide it doesn't meet current standards for MS-60 would they down-grade it and reimburse me for the fair-market value difference?

It would depend on whether or not it was originally graded by ANACS under the current ownership. The current company only stands behind the coins they have graded. There were four generations of the blue label ANACS holders. The first three were under the previous ownership and the fourth was used by both ownerships.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,734Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05