Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not A Bad Christmas Present

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 995Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
362 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  08:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mmerc20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was pretty impressed at my wife's effort for a Christmas gift. She knows nothing about coins and doesn't collect anything which makes her understanding of my (and my son's) hobby that much more difficult. However, she did come through and got an uncirculated set of Presidential dollars from Washington up to Frankin Pierce. It was both the P and D mint and although she might have paid a little too much (it was from some coin website via Amazon) it was a very nice gesture and at least not any of those colorized "commemorative" crap coins.

She tolerates all my hobbies (coins, swords, antique militaria) but I don't think she understands them. At least she is reaching out and trying to get me things I will like.

Mike
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17899 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being female, she would be satisfied enough knowing she was your number one interest. I would be a little worried of her, if swords were her number one interest!

I have a wife who has never had any interest in coins, but many years ago I sold my collection to help buy our house. That neutralised her! She is registered as the joint owner of our house. I just kiss her sweetly every night....... that's my coin collection has continued to grow over the last 35 years.

By the way, she is not interested in swords or guns! Phew!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2661 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am fortunate to have a wife who has similar interests to mine. She collects currency and silver rounds, ASE's, Panda's and Australian Lunars. We both do antiques. She actually supports my metal detecting. I gots me a good women for sure.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mmerc20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been trying to get her interested in something to collect, but she has never had a hobby so it is foreign to her. I don't think she ever will either.
I just got a huge world stamp collection with the majority of them being from the 19th and early 20th century (i joined stampcommunity to inquire about some of them) and hoped they might interest her, but no. Even though her Dad retired from the Post Office after 35 years, the Postal interest has not been passed down.
I guess as long as she tolerates (and now is starting to support) my hobbies, I can't complain.

Mike
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, Show her the Appreciation ,by trying to complete your Dollar Set, show her what you where able to obtain from your Local Banks.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife also has no hobbies. I keep trying to get her interested, but to no avail. Maybe someday.....
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anytime you have a sigmificant other that supports you in what ever you do, you have a good one. Allot of others do not have it so lucky. Even though they may not understand the big deal and not really be interested in it themselves if they allow you the time and effort it takes for you to enjoy whatever you doit can mean allot. Just be sure you do not let it consume you where you are spending more time with or showing your hobby more attention than you do them. When that happpens it doesn't matter what it is they will start to hate it and will start to make it difficult for you to enjoy it further. I remember with my first wife, my uncle and I were restoring a few cars at one time and it took allot of time, when I wasn't at work I was in the garage working on the cars or trying to track down parts for them (this was before the internet was in every home so you actually had to call around) snd she started to really hate the vehicles that she was so happy I had gotten at first and wouldn't even look at them or go riding in theem when I would go to car shows or anything else
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Double Indemnity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very nice gift - you are fortunate. It's frustrating when loved ones denigrate your hobbies just because they don't share the same interests. By the same token Bryan1315 reminds us of an important lesson.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1450 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hockingzig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My other time consuming hobby is playing pedal steel guitar. As I was playing last week, my wife walks in the room and says,"that amp sounds kind of fuzzy, I think you need a new one!" Of course she is right,I will get right on it! Gotta love a woman who understands what you love.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2010  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
let me add some more facts about the car thing I was talking about. When we first was talking about restoring the cars her and I was thinking ahead and talking about all the things we could do with the cars together after they were done and she was excited about that time to come. it was when the restoring process took longer than we had planned and it took allot of my time restoring them that she started to hate the objects that took me away from her. It was like she felt the cars were more important to me than she was because I spent so much time on them and so little time with her, and even when we were together it seemed as though the discussions would always turn to the cars since it consumed just about my every thought
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 995Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05