Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

AU Vs. MS Coins

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  8:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just curious what other members think about buying AU-55 or AU-58 coins as opposed to MS-60 - MS-63 coins. It seems to me that by and large, when I look at a nice AU-55 or AU-58 and compare it to one of the low end MS grades, especially a 60 or 61, the 55 or 58 looks MUCH NICER and is a much less expensive coin. It seems that, for the money, the AU coin is a better choice than a low-end MS coin.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on this.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.

ANA Member since 2007.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3591 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never thought about it but now that I do...you raise a pretty valid point. I doubt the consensus will go that way, but the nice thing about collecting is that you can do what you want.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9183 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High AU coins can be a good way to go. When the low MS grades are priced much higher, they're usually the best bet.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you. Often a AU-55/58 will look much nicer than a lower end MS coin. Think of it this way, the AU-55/58 is a choice coin while the MS-61/62 are low end for the grade. The only real difference is a slight amount of wear, often not readily noticeable. I prefer a nice AU coin compared to an average uncirculated coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15932 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhh....good you realized this. Welcome to coin collecting! You have arrived! Here's an AU coin for you (NGC-AU58):

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3285 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2011  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scale and prices should be changed to: MS-60, MS-61, AU-58, MS-63, ... reflecting the fact AU-58 has superior eye appeal and, likely, greater rarity for many issues than both of the low MS grades. For Morgan dollars, particularly, MS-60 and MS-61 coins are a dime a dozen.

Would be much more accurate. Not a huge fan of AU-55 coins the wear is just too obvious on those.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18243 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2011  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One small problem though is WHO makes the grade on a coin. If it is professionally graded, that is one thing. But to purchase raw coins in a 2x2, it is then up to the seller what it is graded as. Ond might say it's an AU-58 and another might say MS-60. In instances like this it is just up to you what you want.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2011  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
an AU-58 coin can look allot better than a MS-60 or even MS-61 coin because all MS means is that it didn't circulate, it doesn't mean they are nice. They can have allot of hits and scrapes that makes the coin ugly but still be MS. On the other hand a coin can lightly circulate and be called AU-58 and have allot less hits and scrapes than a MS-61 coin but can't be called uncirculated because it has a little rub here and there, and that is all it takes to keep a coin from being called MS or Uncirculated. Some of these are so hard to distinguish between each other that one mans AU-58 can be anothers MS-62 since it just takes so little amount of rub to make it AU-58 its easy to just slide it in as a UNC coin
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2011  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add monkeyman67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice LWC badthad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3285 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2011  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the AU scale needs to be AU 50 to AU 63 to reflect the fact that some AU coins are on par with MS equivalents in luster and eye appeal.

That would allow a wider range of pricing in the AU range while still allowing MS coins to have a special distinction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2011  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps the AU scale needs to be AU 50 to AU 63 to reflect the fact that some AU coins are on par with MS equivalents in luster and eye appeal.

I agree with the idea, but that would cause problems because you would have both uncirculated and worn coins in the same category which is not only confusing but contradictory to the rest of the standardized grading scale. I think some collectors are too caught up in the "uncirculated" coins and pay a premium for them. For example, I've seen several ebay auctions where a coin was not given a grade by the seller, but just had pics for the bidders to grade themselves. Those auctions with what appeared to be choice AU coins had higher ending prices then coins appearing to be MS but having worse eye appearance or more nicks/marks. Once a label is slapped on a coin as being MS though, it seems like that changes and the MS coins automatically have a premium over choice AU coins.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WJB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of the front and back of an AU-58 1911 S Barber dime rated by NGC

I think it has better appeal then a MS-63 maybe even an MS-64

Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5922 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye appeal is my choice as apposed to numerical grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3259 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An AU58 is a very nice coin that has just tiny touches of wear at the highest points.

An MS60, MS61 - is a dog and not a pretty dog at that. We're not talking a Samoyed, but rather a Pit Bull - Corgi mix (https://doggypedia.org/corgi-pitbull-mix/) (I'm sure SOME of them are lovely dogs, but they just look funny).

You start with this noble canine image:

And end up here:
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely agree that eye appeal is what I go buy rather than a numerical grade... "buy the coin not the label"
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05