Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Star Note With Two Different Serial Numbers

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 6,148Next Topic
Page: of 4
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TeeTow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I am totally a rookie at this. I own a store and with this economy, I am finding that people are turning loose of coins and bills from their collections. First one I am going to check into is I have found a star note with two different serial numbers. I have researched to find star notes in general, but nowhere can I find anything that addresses the 2 different #s. Any information? Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34682 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. A picture would help a lot. If it is what you say it is it could be worth a premium. Please post a pic or a scan of the note.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A legitimate Star note error is an extremely sought after item and could be worth a lot. And yes please post a picture!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TeeTow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yay. If you can see the dollar, I did it!
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there was another Bill posted on this site that had different serial numbers and I believe it was worth quite a premium so its definitely worth quite a bit more than a dollar
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iamkayelem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's a little blurry for me, but is the serial on the bottom left start with a D? I see the difference with the first digit being a 2 and a 0. if the district letter is different too that would be huge... especially since it's a star, I imagine an error like that would be quite rare. nonetheless, even if it's just the serial and not the district it's still a nice note to have!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TeeTow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both "B"s in the serial number. The difference is the beginning digit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34682 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's two digits off,is that even possible? I am no pro but I know there are S/N's that are off by one digit. Never heard of a two digit. Just wondering.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yay. If you can see the dollar, I did it!

I don't suppose you could post a larger picture with some detail? What is the mark just above the B in the left serial number?
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What year is it(series)? In the book I am looking at it is not unusual to be off that may digits. There is one in 1988 star note with serial number with G11xxxxxx* Lest side G00xxxxxx* . There are many more of them. The 1988 is the only one listed in the book. The book is from 2003.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCurrencyBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am an avid error collector & I am listed as a contributor to both the Fred Bart & Stephen Sullivan currency error books. I've already handled a few of these notes & I would gladly assist you in receiving a fair MARKET price.....not the low-ball $$$$ from your local coin shop.....lol. CONGRATS ON A NICE FIND! *** Email Removed by Staff ***
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They exist from 1934 (earliest one I am aware of) through present....

Edited by zeewool
02/16/2011 9:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several thousand mismatched serial number notes known to collectors, and all of them carry a substantial premium over face value..... Yours looks good... probably a $200 note.
Edited by zeewool
02/16/2011 11:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2011  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2011  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That puts a totally different light on things Moe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2011  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tee Tow, welcome to CCF.

FWIW, quite a few "mismatched" series 2006 star SN's have been found lately which affects the "first digit" right side 2 -- left side 0 from New York (B).

SPEC is that it affected quite a few notes from that run since it's the 1st digit affected.

A similar note was posted on the banned site (coins speak...lol) a while back.

Nice Find..

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 6,148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05