Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

South African Medallions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
313 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2011  01:20 am Show Profile   Check OneDollarMule's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add OneDollarMule to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I was just after some information regarding a medallion set. Its a set of three medals from "1961-1971", I believe there were minted in 1971. They have the words "Groei-Growth" on one side and the coat of arms on the other.

They appear to be gold, silver and copper however there are no obvious mint marks present. They are 38mm in diameter and I weighed them as 41.15g for the gold, 27.21 for the silver and 23.22 for the copper. I have also included a photo of the set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Take a gander at my latest listings: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/merchan...numismatics/
Valued Member
South Africa
169 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2011  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One Dollar Mule, I can confirm that they were indeed minted by SAM (South African Mint) it was a 3 coin medallion set in Bronze, Silver and Gold.
I am still trying to find out when and what for?
No info in the books that I have, as well as on the net.
Will keep on looking and try and find more info for you.
The original issue box is as below.
I have a hunch that is has to do with the SA Military of some sorts, as the ones that are available is listed as Medallions under Millitary memorabillia.

Valued Member
Australia
313 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  08:52 am  Show Profile   Check OneDollarMule's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add OneDollarMule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply, I got in contact with a South African dealer who says the gold is 18K and the silver is sterling silver, which is good news. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on why they were made.
Take a gander at my latest listings: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/merchan...numismatics/
Valued Member
South Africa
169 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2011  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zarboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a few selling on the South African website bid or buy, which is the same as Ebay, but nobody is describing the coins. I also haven't had any luck yet.
South Africa
1 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2015  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Selma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Republic of South Africa Tenth Anniversary 1961-1971

http://www.southafricanmedals.com/i...art&Itemid=1
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chingswell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a set of these given to me by my uncle who lived in S Africa . He got his through his bank which might have been Barclays? 1 know they are a limited edition. I have shown them to various coin dealers and they have no idea what they are, they don't even know if it is gold or not!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3048 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, so many medals are poorly documented.
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chingswell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they have nothing to do will the military, listed wrongly I would say, like a lot of things on auctions sites. There are to celebrate ten years of S.Africa being a republic.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05