Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913-S Half Eagle Opinion Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  10:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi everyone. I purchased this one a few months ago! Been procrastinating getting it slabbed. Can I get a few opinions as to grade? Color looks great and original. Thanks!

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry bout photo. How's this one?

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm such a newb. Here's a larger rev. Sorry for the 3 posts to do one job!

Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough call. This one is known for a poor strike, and the areas of primary interest aren't perfectly clear in the images.

These things go through the roof in Mint State, but aren't uncommon in circulated condition. I'm thinking AU55.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply supedave. what details are necessary for ms60+? I bought it as uncirculated from a good rep seller on ebay.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The places to start with Indian gold are the headband and eagle's shoulder. These areas aren't sufficiently clear in your images to make any precise determinations; I'm going based on what appears to be a little wear in those locations.

Prior knowledge goes a long way with coins like this one. Knowing that it's a real rarity in Mint State, one would be a bit leery of a raw example offered on Ebay. Yes there are a few old-timers out there who still offer such coins raw, but when a coin's value quadruples between AU58 and Mint State, you can figure that a seller would either want the coin in a Mint State slab or offer it raw on the chance that buyers might consider it Mint State anyways.

If I'm reading the images correctly, this is about a $500 coin in a PCGS slab.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes total sense! Especially, the part of likelihood of a ms 13-S unslabbed being sold as raw. I don't have any slabbed Indian half eagles to compare this to. I do have several ms quarter eagles slabbed. Does it make sense to compare the two different indians?
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2011  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks pretty good. I think it made thge MS grade.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2011  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouraging remark Larry! I purchased a macro ring for my nikon d60. I'm determined to shoot better images. This coin is better than the photos. I'll post new pics as soon as possible.
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2011  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I go on this schmeal a million times, but to me it all depends on the luster. I can't tell how much is remaining from the pics. Does it cartwheel in hand? I don't see any discernable wear, but it's very difficult to tell. Really though, I've owned a dozen AU-55 TPG certified indians, and very few of them had luster while there was a large variation in remaining details. 58s tend to have some field luster, but not too much; where as MS examples have full cartwheel affects. This is because field luster imho is one of the first to wear on circulated indians due to the design style.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5106 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2011  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks at least as good as my AU-55 NGC-slabbed example. I don't think it can make the MS cut since I see some faint grey discoloration on the Indian's cheek which is likely due to light friction. The mintmark looks sharp which makes it more attractive than my NGC coin.

Probably AU-58, but a real long shot for MS.

By the way, welcome!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add copiedoffme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Johnny, I'm not familiar with the term cartwheel. Can you elaborate? I assume it means; does it luster under light as you turn it?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cartwheel is reflected light that rotates like spokes as you tip the coin back and forth. Polished coins reflect in areas, depending on how the coin was held when polished.
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Johnny, I'm not familiar with the term cartwheel. Can you elaborate? I assume it means; does it luster under light as you turn it?

Exactly. Luster will rotate around the coin as you tilt it in light. If all you see is hairlines in the field, it's definitely circulated.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05