Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ASE Toning

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,513Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2011  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Brucec to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple tubes of 2008 ASE and about a year ago I put four of them in air tight slabs to take with me to a coin club meeting.

The other day I looked at these and they are toning all around the edges and some maybe one quarter inch in from the edge. Whatever the slab seal is made of that I inserted the coins into must be making these tone.

Should have left them in the APMEX tube of 20ea.

So I took these out and put them into an empty APMEX tube I had should I try and clean them with silver cleaner or just let them as is guess it does not matter bullion is bullion toned or not I guess?
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2011  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
slabs are not air-tight. Where were the slabs stored?
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2011  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eupion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you happen to be wearing protective hand wear?

I didn't, with the first silver rounds I ever bought. I didn't wear gloves and left prints all over there. I ruined mine since I didn't realize what I was doing untill about a few months later, when it toned to an almost dark blackish tint. I knew I did them, since there was a BIG OLE finger print right on the face, and it wasn't there when I put them into airtites. I only put silver rounds that I think are nice into airtites so I knew the tones weren't there before. And the ones I didn't touch were very clean. Silly me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2011  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't clean the coins. IMO, untoned and toned bullion are pretty much the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since cleaning does not affect the value of bullion coins, feel free to clean them to remove the ugly blotches that some refer to as "toning". I prefer my bullion coins to be nice and shiny. This does not mean that I clean them with acid and a rotary wire brush. When I clean bullion coins, I do it VERY carefully and gently. I just like them to look nice and an ounce of silver IS still an ounce of silver, whether it has been cleaned or not.

Personally, I think that toning is ugly as sin but I also realize that not everyone does. Coins with numismatic value should not be cleaned, as that is not appreciated by most collectors and would likely reduce the price that they were willing to pay for those coins.

That said, virtually all ancient coins have been cleaned. They have to be or they would look like a lump of dirt after being buried in the ground for the past 1000+ years.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3079 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 2 1992 ASEs with strike through errors that came from the same roll. One was sent to ANACS and the other was put in an air-tight holder. Both coins have toned, but the graded coin has toned over about 40% of the surfaces and the raw coin only has a few spots along the top rim. Both have been kept in the same conditions inside the house with no light.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Edited by Yokozuna
08/03/2011 10:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brucec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thanks all for your opinions, guess I will let them alone for now but may clean them with a light silver polish if I ever sell them which I have no plans to.

The same coins 2008 ASE that were left in the APMEX ASE tube they came in still are nice and bright without any toning at all.

Yes I did use white cotton gloves when I put these in the slabs know it is the rubber pad they are in that is causing this toning.

Should not worry about it because as said bullion is bullion and silver is silver I myself also like them nice and shiny though.
Edited by Brucec
08/05/2011 11:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoThunder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to prevent toning I'd recommend a wrap in silver cloth and a 3M anti-tarnish strip in a sealed jar. Of course it also helps to not touch it with your oily fingers.
Edited by GoThunder
08/05/2011 12:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a strike through error?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3079 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  12:44 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is a strike through error?

Here are the two ASEs I have with the "Struck Thru" error. When the coins were struck, the die had some kind of debris that left the oval area in the field, into the bottom of the letter Y and into the word GOD. It's rare to see an error like these on a Silver Eagle and very rare to find a pair.

Each strike caused the shape or the strike through area to change and spread.

"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoThunder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should have left them in the APMEX tube of 20ea

That still might not have done it, I've had toning happen on some 1987 ASE that were kept in the original mint tubes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
931 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an Eagle where one half of a letter is twice as deep as the other half. I figure that is a broken die inside the letter. I thought maybe that was considered a strike through.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are the two ASEs I have with the "Struck Thru" error.

So, does that make these coins more or less valuable?
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see it now the ASE VAMS.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ed-

yes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3079 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2011  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very rare to find an ASE with an error. Both of these coins have a large area that was probably grease with bits of metal. They also have about 100 small spots across both coins that are tiny strike throughs. I have seen ASEs with strike throughs, but none with matching errors and none with more than one or two spots.

The ASEs with strike throughs I've seen for auction have ranged from $350 to $600 each and larger strike throughs for up to $5000.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 3,513Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05