Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Coin | Shell President Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 34,684Next Topic  
Guatemala
2 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  12:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trolperformance to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello collector friends, I live in Guatemala and I recently inherited my great-grandparents some things I found in a wooden box a piece of Abraham Lincoln, which dates from 1861-1865 according to what I believe is a commemorative coin, you could help me to value their price? I need information

Identified - moved to Medals forum - Sap
Guatemala
2 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trolperformance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to see but Lincoln had a beard
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is not a commemorative coin, just some sort of privately issued token/medallion. Judging by the appearance of the bust, the die engraving was definitely on the crude side as it is not a very good rendering of Honest Abe.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very curious since my Great-Grandparents were born pre-civil war in the US and we have never seen anything like this.

How in the heck did this end up in Guatemala?

When were your great-grandparents born?

Any clue how they obtained this coin?
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of these. And a few other Presidents as well.

Here are a couple of quick pics of the Lincoln (which is what is shown in the OP's pic, just blurry and funky lighting) from my collection:

Many here should recognize this as one of the Presidential coins put out by Shell in the early 90's a part of a collecting game. I think these are still pretty cool, although they don't really have any value.

I think if you put together a set of the game tokens, you could send them in for the Bronze Collector Set. There might have been other prizes too - I don't remember. And I think there were single tokens that were winners. I did put together a set of these but I think I got the last coin after the game ended - I just don't remember!

I should have put the completed set in a frame or something - they oxidized pretty well being out in the air.

(Sorry for the blurrines - didn't use a tripod!)

Interesting that one of those turned up in Guatemala. Does Shell have gas stations in Guatemala?

Steve
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking around a bit I see that you can get the complete set like mine on eBay for $15 to $25, and the bronze set for quite a bit more. I now remember I did get the bronze set off eBay years ago, in the late 90's. It's put away somewhere I can't find right now. Interestingly, my Grandmother gave me a Bronze set in the 70's that she won back in the 60's. Both sets are the same except the 90's set has more Presidents in it, obviously!

Here's a pic of my 60's set that runs through LBJ.

Steve
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40041 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like one of those tokens you would get at a gas station when you filled up your gas tank.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2011  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah - now it makes sense.

We went to Sunoco - they had coins at one time too but I think they had cars from the early 1900's on them.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GlassJAw667 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I was a much younger man in the early 90's the Shell gas station near my mother's house used to give these out when you made a purchase of $10 or more. I had the whole set at one time, and subsequently came here to see what these were worth as well. I see that one of the posted photos actually has the 'Shell' logo on both sides of the coin holder.
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2011  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just because this came up again, I was rummaging around on eBay yesterday and came across one of the tokens from the 60's game. They were made out of aluminum. I remember when I was a kid (would've been around '66 or so) there was a Shell station down the street from my house. We would ride our bikes down there and we'd find bunches of the in the dumpster in the back that had been thrown out , still in the white sealed envelope they came in. I had a bunch of these things and I have no idea whatever happened to them.

These are the ones my grandmother collected and sent back to shell for the bronze set she gave me many years later, that is pictured above.

I had to nab this one for $4 shipped as a cool reminder of my childhood. Someone else is selling several different ones for about $11 each.

A blast from the past for me!

Steve
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 34,684Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05