Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

German 100,000 Mark Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 15,992Next Topic  
New Member

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2009  5:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi there. First post. I know absolutely nothing about numismatic properties, so I might be asking a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask, on behalf of a friend, what the possible value of an old German 100,000 Mark note might be.

I don't have a picture to show, sorry. I was at a friend's grandmother's place this weekend & it was raining, so she brought out the coin box. The house has been in the family for several generations, and they have a little box of odd coinc that have been piling up for ages (some date back to the late 1800's from as far away as Hong Kong - we're in Canada, btw).

Besides a gold US $5 coin circa 1910, the most interesting thing I saw was this note that didn't have a date but said it was worth 100,000 Marks. I'm guessing it was printed between the wars. The person on it definitely isn't from the nazi regime. He looks more like a poet or a philosopher and has a relatively floppy hat on his head, sort of like a British cabby hat or that ugly thing Brad Pitt wore when he was doing his thing for the Katrina survivors.

It's a 2.5 hr drive, so I doubt I'll be in their neighbourhood any time soon to take a proper snapshot, but if there's a possibility this bill could be of any value I'd be sure to advise them accordingly.

I'm guessing it might be from some period of hyper-inflation (hence the high denomination), but I'm curious what the more informed (you folks) might have to say.

For clarification, I'm not trying to bilk a sweet old lady out of anything. She doesn't have a computer and I'm just seeing if I can help her discover some equity she didn't even consider before.

Thanks.
New Member
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2009  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, never mind. I found some on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1923-Ge...te_W0QQitemZ350162490193QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPaper_Money?hash=item51874f9351&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Looks like they go for $5-10
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17002 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2009  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After WWI, Germay suffered severe inflation - hyperinflation (much like Zimbabwe today). It resulted in very high denomination notes being printed, which are still available today, usually quite cheaply.

In late 1923 when the hyperinflation finally ended, a new mark was introduced to replace the old mark at a rate of 1 trillion old marks to 1 new mark.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1509 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2009  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The portrait on the note is of Hans Georg Gisze, a German merchant in London, painted by Hans Holbein in 1532.
The note on ebay is a bit overpriced in that condition. Mine is in a similar state but I wouldn't expect more than $5.
I'd much rather have the original portrait in my possession!



German-100,000-Mark-Note
Edited by thai-vic
08/25/2009 04:49 am
New Member
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2009  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know. Thanks for your knowledgeable & timely responses.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 15,992Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Forums