Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1880-CC Morgan Dollar #3 For Your Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 775Next Topic
Page: of 2
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107573 Posts
Pillar of the Community
srs77's Avatar
United States
3569 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2026  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adam126402 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the in hand photos. Two sets, one with my usual lighting source and then another set in lightly filtered direct sunlight.

I'm pretty certain this is VAM-4 (80/79) no dash under the 2nd eight, which is a feature of VAM-7. The zero looks like it has the remnants of the 9. The eight looks to be too gunked up to see anything. Though it looks like the right most serif on the underlying seven is just peeking up on the right side of the upper loop. I also noticed the obverse of virtually every VAM-7 I've looked at has a prominent die crack running through the stars on the left side.

I know it was mentioned by at least one person that they thought this one was cleaned. If so, I think it was long long ago.

Overall, for a well circulated example, I the thought the surfaces were quite nice, usual abrasion, nicks but no heavy hits, nice rims, IMO.

So, what are your thoughts on this, CCF, grade and details status and or VAM?

As always, love all of the CCF feedback!


1880-CC-Morgan-Dollar-#3-For-Your-Thoughts?
1880-CC-Morgan-Dollar-#3-For-Your-Thoughts?
1880-CC-Morgan-Dollar-#3-For-Your-Thoughts?
1880-CC-Morgan-Dollar-#3-For-Your-Thoughts?
1880-CC-Morgan-Dollar-#3-For-Your-Thoughts?
New Member
henryvoight's Avatar
United States
42 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryvoight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any trace of a cleaning, toned over or not. A week ago I called it a 30 and I'm going stick to that. I like the second picture of the obverse with the lighting that makes the lettering look very 3D. A very nice coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
panzaldi's Avatar
United States
18929 Posts
 Posted Today  7H 7M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
better photos. imo she grades straight. the original lighting was washing out the surfaces and altering what we were seeing.
I'm still at VF35. nice coin
Bedrock of the Community
IndianGoldEagle's Avatar
United States
37193 Posts
 Posted Today  5H 37M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I'm still at VF-30.
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19604 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 48M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid VF30 for me. I like it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 775Next Topic
Page: of 2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Forums