Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1917 "Legal Tender" Large Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,416Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
barryg's Avatar
United States
6016 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I stopped at a local coin shop the other day to pick up a 7070 album for my son and saw this for sale:
1917-
1917-

I recently bought my first large dollar (a 1923 Silver Certificate) just to have a large bill. I've always admired the artwork on the so-called "Education" notes, but they seem to be way out of my price range in decent condition. So I thought this would be a nice compromise since it still has some nice artwork on the obverse.

I got it from a coin dealer, so I don't expect I got a particularly good deal on it. He was asking $150 and agreed to take $130, so that's at least something. I will say it looked a lot better in the plastic sleeve then when I took it out to photograph (the folds weren't nearly a noticeable, for example).

So... How'd I do?
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking note!

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert in large-sized notes (yet ), but it's still a nice looking note! Lol
Pillar of the Community
amida17's Avatar
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2011  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am by no means a currency expert. Green Sheet has it at F12-$60 and VF20-$70. I think yours fits in that grade range. RedBook F-$90 VF-$110
Edited by amida17
12/15/2011 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
barryg's Avatar
United States
6016 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, amida17! Yeah, I can live with paying $130 for a bill that is "worth" $110. Not quite as thrilled about paying $130 for a $60 bill, but I'm still happy to have it.
Valued Member
satxwd's Avatar
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2011  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add satxwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice note! These are referred to as horse blankets around these parts :) I have one but not this nice. Good buy!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 3,416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums