Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Quintillus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,408Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
ancientcoinguy's Avatar
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hello everyone! Just thought I would share my newest coin. This is the first coin I have of Quintillus. I think I did well- picked this one up for about $20. It's always exciting getting a new emperor!

Quintillus
Quintillus

I haven't attributed this so if you want to go ahead.
Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pickup especially for the price. Coins of Quintillus are not exactly for sale everyday. I own only one and it was holed by someone in the past. I like to think it was holed by a nail where someone nailed it to a door frame for some odd reason (my imagination at work).
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it's IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, LAETITIA AVG, XII, RIC VI 22a. Like JW said you don't find these a lot. I have only one also in my collection.
Edited by echizento
01/07/2012 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
bobbyhelmet's Avatar
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up for $20

Its a shame he didn't rule for longer (17-177 days depend on which source you believe) as his bust style didn't get a chance to be differentiated from his brothers. I've wondered before if some of the many, very worn coins attributed to Claudius II could in fact be Quintillus coins.


Quote:
It's always exciting getting a new emperor


Its always nice to add another 'got' to the list, I got my first Julian II a few days ago and even though its in poor shape its matter provided me with a good few hours research and reading on the net
Pillar of the Community
VisigothKing's Avatar
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Just curious, are Quintillus coins hard to come by at that price?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose you could just say the coin is not high grade but it is probably the best example I have seen that speaks to what happens when a coin is weakly struck. There simply was not enough metal pressed into either the portrait or the reverse figure to transfer detail. There is a texture to what should have been the high points of the center of both sides that suggests the metal never touched the die surfaces. It is a great example of a technically interesting and educational coin. Add to that it is a Quintillus. I certainly would have paid $20 for it.
Pillar of the Community
bobbyhelmet's Avatar
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coin! Just curious, are Quintillus coins hard to come by at that price?


Prices seem to have gone up a bit recently but if your patient on ebay you should be able to get something similar for the same kind of price in an auction Jango. BINs will be into 3 figures but most of those are people just trying their luck.

The one I have in this thread...

https://goccf.com/t/106358

...I picked up in 2009 for £7.50 shipped. Be careful of some sellers though, they try to pass off Claudius II coins as Quintillus when the legends are poor.
Edited by bobbyhelmet
01/07/2012 10:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
ancientcoinguy's Avatar
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks for all the information guys! The emperors who ruled for short periods of time are very interesting and often have a shroud of uncertainty and mystery surrounding them. I think I may try to finish off the "Q" emperors (only two lol) and buy a nice Quietus. Of course, I should prepare myself for the price tag that is often attached to his coins.
Pillar of the Community
ancientcoinguy's Avatar
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2012  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There simply was not enough metal pressed into either the portrait or the reverse figure to transfer detail.

Interesting. I had just assumed that this coin saw more circulation than most and had the high points ground down through wear.

Bobby, I must admit that post of yours earlier that mentioned Quintillus was what got me interested in him. I began searching and this is the one I settled on. It was an easy choice because it was the only coin I could find in this condition that did not cost over $100. I'm glad I got it because I am positive I would have regretted it later if I had passed it up.
Pillar of the Community
bobbyhelmet's Avatar
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2012  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must admit that post of yours earlier that mentioned Quintillus was what got me interested in him


Excellent, I'm glad to hear it ACG

Good luck with the Quietus, I suspect he could cost you quite a bit more! He, his brother (my avatar) and their father are a very interesting bunch!

Mmmm - Maybe I can feel an update coming to the lesser known thread.
Pillar of the Community
maridvnvm's Avatar
United Kingdom
2121 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2012  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They only had a certain amount of metal to strike each coin and as Doug says they either end up with flat areas or you end up with a better struck coin without enough flan to fit the whole design and legends.

Quintillus

Martin
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,408Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Forums