Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Modern Canadian Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,316Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  12:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I just received a box of 2011 Magnetic Pennies from the bank, and was wondering if I should open a roll and look for high grade coins.

The reason this is in the grading section, is because I have absolutely no idea how to grade modern Canadian coinage in MS-65+ grades. What should I be looking for?

Obviously the coins should have no marks on the surface, but do they look at the rims of the coin, in these higher grades? Would a small mark on the rim keep the coin from reaching 67+?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have also asked, how can I take the coins out of the sealed plastic wrappers they are in, without rubbing the coins together?
Pillar of the Community
qbvbsite's Avatar
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was also wondering how to take coins out of plactic rolls.... go news is you have 50 rolls to find out :)
Edited by qbvbsite
01/22/2012 01:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Canadian-Banknotes's Avatar
Canada
4944 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might take me all 50 rolls to figure it out.
Valued Member
secoinedchance's Avatar
Canada
451 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say, CRH'ing I have come across lots of 2011 pennies. For the most part, they have all been that "artificial" looking copper colour. But yesterday I ran into a whole roll if them interspersed into other rolls, and I have to say these looked like Proof-finishes. All had cameos and the field was super, super mirrored. Actually hurt to look at through my loupe when they reflected through. I picked them all out and am stashing them for my Daughter who was born 2/20/11.

I have been disappointed with the last 12 years of pennies, as they no longer have the feel of our older penny issues. Bad portraits (as mentioned somewhere else by Ugly I think) and fact is, when you open a roll most of the darkest, most blemished coins are in fact 1999-2011 coins.

Sorry about ranting, just had to speak my peace I guess.

A suggestion about opening the wrappers btw: take a blow drier and heat the plastic so it stretches easily. Should'nt get hot enough to damage the coins..
Rest in Peace
biggfredd's Avatar
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IIRC, those rolls are basically shrink tubing. You might be able to heat them enuf with a hair dryer or heat gun to make them easily stretchable.
Pillar of the Community
mcshilling's Avatar
Canada
9813 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cut the rapper with scissors, just the lose part, then grab the 2 pieces and pull apart.
Pillar of the Community
qbvbsite's Avatar
Canada
849 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for all the advice I look forward to unwrapping the 18 rolls I have :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums