Quote: Modern US Coin Grading Please post pictures here so that we can all practice our grading skills.
I thought this forum was for getting coins graded. I was not aware that you actually had to ask. Or could it be that 97 members checked it out and had no clue how to grade it?
BadThad, Can you expand a little for me why you disagree with the practice you mentioned above.
This is an area that I find myself struggling with...that fine line between AU and MS. I wold say AU in this case too because the luster is diffidently not what it was when it left the mint, BUT, is it worn...I dunno. I see contact marks, but MS coins can have contact marks...so what is it that might cause an professional to grade this coin or one similar with an MS grade?
Basically, the TPG's look at details on modern cents. IMO, they are ignorant of the high points of the design and exactly how they wear. I have seen a ton of AU modern cents in MS slabs.
On this coin the rims clearly show rub and I can see it on the obverse device high point, the temple/forhead area. On the reverse, the pillars on the side of the steps are the high point, then the cornice, they show rub. The luster is also reduced, an MS 2004 will have bright, cartwheel luster. Also, the dirt is consistent with having been circulated a good bit. If a red, MS coin is put into a drawer and never circulated, it will not look like this at all.
Thanks for that explanation Badthad. I had based my grade opinion here on the reduction in luster and the dirt on the surface, which to me screams a circulated coin that's been fairly lucky. The rub you point out is certainly subtle, and I think that's what my eyes are needing trained on, this is where you help comes in, it trains me to look more closely at those details. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use