Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Recognize This Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,313Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2012  10:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
OK, here is another of my recent purchases. I did not buy this for the coin, but rather for the pendant. I do not recognize the coin and I'm not even sure it is a coin. The listing indicated the coin had a lion on both obverse and reverse. Anyone out there have any guesses?

Recognize-This-Coin?

Recognize-This-Coin?
Pillar of the Community
Ancientnoob's Avatar
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess would be a relatively modern British something....I will look around for you.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17005 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2012  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not ancient - the lion is in a modern heraldic pose. And I'm not familiar with any coin that just has a lion on both sides, so I'd say it's a made-for-jewellery medalette.

As for origin, it's not an English lion or leopard, and doesn't really look Scottish, either. Try the Continent (either Low Countries or Spain).

Unless, of course, it's a Chronicles of Narnia souvenir.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2012  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just randomly ran across this coin. The one below is a 1/4 real from Guatemala--1893.
What's the reverse look like? The Guatemala coin reverse has 3 mountains and a sun.

Recognize-This-Coin?
Edited by DVCollector
11/19/2012 12:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just received the pendant/coin this afternoon. The pendant is most defiantly silver, and I believe the coin(?) is as well. The coin has no legend and both sides display the rampant lion. The coin is very small, measuring in at 10mm. At this point, I do not believe this is a coin of any sort unless someone out there has more information. It's a very nice looking pendant and the price was right, so I am not too disappointed.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17005 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to tell the thickness just by looking at the above pics. Could it be two of those 1/4 reales that DVC posted above, placed in the holder back-to-back?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering that too--it looks a bit thick for a single coin.
Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even in hand it's hard to say for sure, but I believe I see a seam where two coins are joined. So, if that is the case, then possibly the mystery is nearly solved. Is the 1/4 reales silver? And is it that small of a coin? I will do some research, bu if anyone has the answers, it will save me some time.

JW
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bing, I sent you a PM earlier.
Pillar of the Community
Bing's Avatar
United States
4253 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2012  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echizento: I never received it. Try again. The email address is correct.
Edited by Bing
11/24/2012 5:29 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Forums