Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

What In The? Incuse Lettering On A Sestertius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,092Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Ben's Avatar
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  12:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Heres a sestertius from the culls pile. Its coated in green and corroded and I couldnt read any letters so I decided to have a whack at acid cleaning it.

Well, I can read some letters now - its appears to say FVSI but I think its meant to read AVG I...

Well, they are incuse. little more I can say about it - but the bust and what appears to be the rest of the legend are normal. What happened? Is this stamped in post-event to erase something? Can anyone offer an idea on the ID of the emperor?

What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius
What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius
(regular lettering on the opposite side of the bust):
What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius
The reverse:
What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius

And a note: it really is incuse - no question about it. the coin casts a shadow into it and I can run a toothpick over it and it dips down into the lettering.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it but couldn't say what it is.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17007 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2013  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen, on occasion, corrosion on a coin form in such a way that the letters were more badly corroded than the background field. When such corrosion is stripped away, the lettering appears as incuse. I have a "modern" (1800s) Australian token where this has happened. The first pic was the coin in the state I received it; the second pic after a wash in concentrated ammonia solution removed the corrosion.

What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius

What-In-The?-Incuse-Lettering-On-A-Sestertius

Note particularly the word "SON" in the centre, and the letters "TBU" of "WESTBURY" at the bottom: they've turned incuse. I'm betting a similar process has happened on your coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,092Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Forums