I have this in my collection but am really struggling to translate it, I'm pretty sure it is Catherine the Great as the dates match and the other side may be Alexander II but I cant seem to find a translation tool that is any help or any images of these letters.
This is in an earlier version of Cyrillic which I doubt you'll be able to find in Windows character map. Sadly I can't read enough of it to get the sense.
First side: "In memory of the opening celebrations of the monument to Empress Catherine II / 1762-1796" Second side: "[by the Grace of God] Alexander II Emperor and Autocrat of all the Russias / November 24th day 1873"
Looks like Catherine II is on the first side and Alexander II on the second. From the context, presumably there was a monument to Catherine II officially opened/unveiled at November 24 1873, and the medal commemorates this fact. No idea whether this is what actually happened, but might make your googling easier
January1may, I am glad you were able to help. I was able to read approximately what it was, but I have trouble with the archaic letters and did not want to get it wrong.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use