OK, here's my guess. It is a closed 3, so that limits it to one of 2 varieties. I believe this coin is the top variety in the IHC series, Snow 1b, doubled liberty. The markers that I can see are the doubling under the nose, die file marks in denticles under the '3'. On the reverse, a raised lump between the 'C' in cent and the wreath. However, due to wear I believe the markers that make it the top variety, the doubling of the feathers, 'LIBERTY' and 'ES' in STATES are no longer visible. For this reason, I would not want this coin as a representative of this variety and do not believe it is worth much of a premium.
Yep--Raymo and Beaglebailey called it--Snow-1b. I was curious what people thought the value might be. This was on ebay; the seller wanted $200! However, a slabbed G4 sold for $241 on Heritage. If I had that coin, I would sell it for a small premium. But personally, I would like this coin in at least F12. That way, some of the doubling of LIBERTY is visible as well as the arrow shafts.
Ive cherry picked 4 in about the same grade or slightly higher. I got a VG10 on one, but you still could not see any of the doubling in LIBERTY. Never paid more than $20 for one.
These are more common than people may assume. They are very rare in anything over Fine condition though. If you can see LIBERTY the premium explodes from a few hundred to well over a thousand dollars.
Quote: These are more common than people may assume. They are very rare in anything over Fine condition though. If you can see LIBERTY the premium explodes from a few hundred to well over a thousand dollars.
What if ones lightly cleaned/rubbed ? Would the value drop a bit ?
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use