Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Macrinus Coin, Cant Find It Anywhere

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,719Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
tenbobbit's Avatar
United Kingdom
701 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  05:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi all,
I apologise for re-posting this coin from a couple of months ago but although we managed to identify the emperor I still havnt found a match for the reverse so am unable to bag and tag it.
The reverse depicts Poseidon holding a dolphin, this image is only seen on the temple coins with a small Poseidon in the temple doorway.
I have gone through several thousand coins of Macrinus on various sites and still cant find this coin anywhere.
If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated
Weight - 8.69g
Size - 20mm x 22mm


Macrinus-Coin,-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere

Macrinus-Coin,-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere

Macrinus-Coin,-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere

Macrinus-Coin,-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere
Pillar of the Community
United States
1047 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may be a stretch but does the reverse legend read "COL BER" which would be the city of Berytus in Syria, Phoenicia
Pillar of the Community
United States
1047 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one with a similar reverse of Nerva from Berytus on wildwinds
Macrinus-Coin,-Cant-Find-It-Anywhere
Pillar of the Community
tenbobbit's Avatar
United Kingdom
701 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BD,
Yes it is " COL BER " on the reverse and yes its from Phoenicia - Berytus
That Nerva is the 1st coin I have seen with the same sort of reverse as mine, I must have stopped at Macrinus when checking Wildwinds.
I honestly don't know where else to look BD as I have checked thousands of coins on multiple sites/searches without joy
Pillar of the Community
oh my florin's Avatar
Australia
1006 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oh my florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that was a rather quick ID :D Good spotting biancasdad
Pillar of the Community
tenbobbit's Avatar
United Kingdom
701 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No such luck OMF, we already know who it is and what it is depicting but we are trying to find a match for it.
The Nerva is the closest reverse style found so far that's all unfortunately
Pillar of the Community
United States
1047 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx OMF

I don't know TB I am not well versed in provincials but I bet you someone on FAC could ID your coin
Pillar of the Community
lrbguy's Avatar
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to go back to just about June 19 (on the pics) but could not find your thread. How did you determine that was a coin of Macrinus?

Any chance we could get a closer look at both sides?
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to make out what little of the legend that is visible, but really haven't come up with much. I've seen a number of examples of Gallienus which the bust resembles a bit. But without the legend it's difficult to say if it's him or Macrinus.
Pillar of the Community
tenbobbit's Avatar
United Kingdom
701 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ron, LRBguy,
The legend is - IMP?MACRINOAVG
100% certain that it is Macrinus.
The reverse is COL BER.
Berytos,Syria.
Forum member " Bacchus " is a Diadumenian collector and he helped with the ID, once he suggested Macrinus it was easy to read the name in the legend.
All of this said I still cant find a match for it and I have pretty much exhausted every avenue I can think of.
Surely there's a match out there, I don't mind it being scarce/rare but would rather see another 1 to compare it with.
Pillar of the Community
lrbguy's Avatar
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2015  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lrbguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the obverse inscription: I was looking for an inscription in Greek. Now I see it is a Latin inscription in the Roman alphabet. However, the letter M for his name appears near the top of his head, so there are about four or five letters between P and M; IMP ? MACRINO AVG If the whole legend could be recognized it might help pin it down.
Pillar of the Community
tenbobbit's Avatar
United Kingdom
701 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2015  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The full obverse legend is -
IMP M OP SE MACRINO AVG
I have tried again with this info and still havnt had any joy
Just 1 reference to a single coin that was in a Lot sold at Christies auctions in 1997, no pictures available though
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,719Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Forums