|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 8 / Views: 2,471 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts |
I just received my copy of this book and I find it very interesting. For those of you that would like to own a copy of this sample slab book, now is the time to order one, there is a very small quantity available. It is a very well written soft cover book with over 400 pages of info with prices for all of the slab companies that have had samples for sale in the aftermarket, such as ebay or just from a dealer sell them. The book does cover many TPG companies, 445 pages and covers over 30 companies with pictures of all samples that are available. Some of the companies are PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ACG, Blanchard, Compugrade, Hallmark, ICG, NTC and many more. He covers Club slabs, Luncheon slabs, Novelty slabs, Photo slabs, Promotional slabs, Production slabs, Show slabs, Young Numismatist Coin and Currency Holders and of course Sample slabs. "SAMPLE SLABS" By David Schwager Go to this web site and place your order. https://sites.google.com/site/sampl...site-builder
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts |
Well, there it is. The holder has become more important than what it is holding.  excuse me while I curl up in the corner and cry  Soon there will be Slab World the weekly online blog of all things slab. <sigh>
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
105 Posts |
Tryna Well I see you don't collect the samples but that is OK. But you should have some knowledge of them. FWIW: You can cherry pick the samples up in many different places. Most dealers don't want them but there is a following for them and on ebay the few collectors of samples pay strong prices for the rare ones. And this book will make the market stronger for them. I have been collecting them for a number of years now and I admit that I probably know most of the sample slab collectors, just from the posts on the different forums. No I don't think there will be a Slab World but there is a web site call sampleslabs. and samplecoinslabs, PCGS and Coin World has done articles on them, Heritage has a listing of them at their site. So it is a growing market for them. There are no samples that cost $1000's. but samples have sold for over $500. currently on ebay looking at the closed listings here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-US-/2...mple&_sop=16There is 320 listing of samples that have sold in just the last 90 days. Now I think that there are alot of people that are collecting samples.
Edited by RJP 09/22/2015 6:34 pm
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
105 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
4622 Posts |
RJP - I'm not an independent observer as I helped David with information incorporated into the book. However, your later note is EXACTLY why we need this book. Most of the sites you mention - Heritage, here at CCF - they are all copies of parts of the data the late Cam Keifer posted at SampleSlabs.com From the note at the bottom here at CCF: Quote: This sample slabs section is a revival of sampleslabs.com which was owned by Cameron Kiefer. Cameron, a former grader at ICG, had a promising career in Numismatics before his tragic death in December 2010. CCF used to send Cameron images of all sample slabs that came across our desks. During our correspondence we were told many times by him that we could use anything from his site, so now that it has expired, we will attempt to preserve this information so it will not be lost.
-----Burton 50+ year / Life / Emeritus ANA member (joined 12/1/1973) Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, EveryCountry (online) coin club Owned by three cats and a wife of 40+ years (joined 1983) Author: 3rd Edition of the Sample Slabs book, https://www.sampleslabs.info/
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
105 Posts |
I agree with you, most of the info, if Not all was accomplished by the late C. Keifer and then Conder101 has had a lot to do with slabs and samples. Since I have not been a seller of samples, only a buyer. I never even saw this book coming until David started to advertise it and give away some of the articles in it. So even though I have been collecting sample since June 2007 but it was a very slow start as I got one off a bid board and maybe a year later I got a circ Morgan at a show and then I was off to the races looking for samples and any info I could find. And I think the book is great and if anyone is just the least bit interested in samples then a $24 for the book is a great investment, even if you only get the PDF version all the info is there. I was just starting to email and talk to Cameron, buying sample from him off ebay, identifying unlisted samples and looking forward to going to Denver to meet him and maybe see the ICG operations but it never happened.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts |
Can someone explain what a "sample slab" is?
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
105 Posts |
Thanks for the info and the links.
|
| |
Replies: 8 / Views: 2,471 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- Post Your Coins With Coats Of Arms, Shields, Crests, Crowns, Etc.
- Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels
- My Last Purchase: A Bronze Greek Coin Representing The Poetess Sappho
- How Many Countries Do You Have Coins From?
- How Far Back Can We Go? Ninth Edition!
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Post Your Stories & Pix Of Found Money
- 1885-Zs Mexico - 25 Centavos W/Arcing Die Crack, Tilted & Re-Punched Reverse Die
- 1934 Peace Dollar NGC MS-67+ At Auction
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- G L B 49's MS-70 Perfect Silver Coins
- ID Help - Roman Provincial Coin
- 1894 Fifty Cents - Grade This Coin. It May Or May Not Be TPG.
- 1847 Undecimo Edge Great Britain Gothic Crown, Gothic Type, NGC PF61
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
- Post Your Coins Representing The Animal Kingdom.
- Post Your Bird Coins
- Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora
- Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions
- Post Your Coins Of Steel (And Iron)!
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |