Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Odd Vespasian Portrait

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,743Next Topic  
Valued Member
caesar77's Avatar
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2015  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add caesar77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I find this coin's portrait of Vespasian off, as opposed to every other type I viewed. It just seems off. I am attaching first the off portrait, than others from CNG and acsearch. I have been told the portraits vary, but this one seems strange.

Odd-Vespasian-Portrait

Odd-Vespasian-Portrait

Odd-Vespasian-Portrait

Odd-Vespasian-Portrait

Odd-Vespasian-Portrait
Edited by caesar77
09/23/2015 3:14 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2015  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting portrait, I don't think there is a problem with the coin it look legit to me.
Pillar of the Community
Arael's Avatar
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2015  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arael to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit to me, there was a lot of variance among individual dies in those times, so not surprising that these all look a little different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3495 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2015  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some very curious portraits of Vespasian in bronze. Apparently the Lugdunum mint was quite active in the period between Nero and Vespasian. I know they issued in bronze. If they issued silver too that may account for some of the 'odd' looking styles. I do know that Nero issued imperial coinage in the Balkans too. This may also contribute to some of the variety.

That being said ....... silver makes me nervous !
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2015  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that across the whole of the Vespasian series in all metals there is a variation in portrait.
I agree that a 'sus' style can be one if the indicators pointing to a fake coin, but on portrait alone more investigation is needed for this coin to be declared 'fake'.

Just on portait style alone, I would give this coin the benefit of the doubt, and declare it 'genuine'.
Pillar of the Community
orfew's Avatar
Canada
1269 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2015  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks fine to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,743Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Forums