Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Italy 100 Lire Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 4,489Next Topic  
New Member
Glenmore's Avatar
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Glenmore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Up until now, I haven't been very interested in error coins, and I don't know anything about them. I think I've stumbled across an error coin, and I wonder what you can tell me about it.

The coin is a 1979 100-lire Italian coin, stainless steel, 27.8 mm in diameter. This photo shows my 'error' coin on the right, next to a normal example. I'm sorry my photography isn't too great.

Italy-100-Lire-Error?

Here's a closeup showing the dates:

Italy-100-Lire-Error?

Am I correct in thinking this is a mint error? If so, what would you call this sort of error? What caused it?

Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
chequer's Avatar
Canada
4227 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Die Deterioration.
New Member
Glenmore's Avatar
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2016  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Glenmore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So then, the die was worn around the circumference, and planchet metal flowed into the worn area, creating a sort of 'double rim' around the design?
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 4,489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to rattle this change. Forums