Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Maybe Belly Money, But I'm Puzzled

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,477Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
alganbagerap's Avatar
United Kingdom
2490 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2016  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Possibly brass. 18 mm, 0.6 gr. The pellets around the edge remind me of Tunisia and it is centre pierced, but I believe that there is some age to this and that belly money may not be the answer:


Maybe-Belly-Money,-But-I'm-Puzzled
Pillar of the Community
BadToTheBone's Avatar
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2016  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I'm confused. What is belly money? he he I can only imagine.
Pillar of the Community
oriole's Avatar
Canada
5293 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2016  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am assuming that the poster meant the coins/ charms/ tokens pierced as used the the costumes of belly dancers for decoration and so forth.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17006 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2016  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I'm confused. What is belly money? he he I can only imagine.

Yes, we assume he means the items that are more formally known as "Jewellery imitations of Ottoman coins". Do a forum search for "imitation ottoman" and you'll find dozens of examples posted on the forum before.

And yes, I'd agree with the OP that this doesn't look like a typical jewellery imitation. What it is, though, I can't tell. Can you tell what it is made of? For some reason, "Southeast Asian tin money" is appearing in my head when I look at it. Not the same, but similar.

It could also be entirely non-numismatic in nature. Like a button, or something. I recall a friend spending quite some time trying to ID a piece not entirely unlike this; it turned out to be a cord-holder for a hat.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
alganbagerap's Avatar
United Kingdom
2490 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2016  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sap, I hadn't spotted your reply until now. By colour and the slightly slippery feel of the piece, tin is a likely candidate.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums