These are the last couple of rulers of Elymais. They are "indeterminate" - their actual names and specific reign dates are uncertain.
I believe the designation of "Prince A" and "Prince B" began with Jacques de Morgan's 1930 study of the coinage...he also had a "Prince C" in that early work. I don't know why they are referred to as "Prince" as opposed to "King"...that's a question I'd like to find an answer to. Van't Haaff does not explain that one. Perhaps de Morgan provided the explanation in "Numismatic de la Perse antique," his 1930 work that was republished in 1976 by Attic Books as Ancient Persian Numismatics:Elymais...but I've not seen a copy in person to verify.
Prince A's coinage is covered by van't Haaff type 19.1. Van't Haaff lists this ruler's reign as sometime from the late 2nd to early 3rd century AD. Prince B is van't Haaff type 20.1 and his reign is pretty vague: 3rd century AD.
I didn't know what to make of the designation. Odd that the earlier Kings are identified and these later King are not. How does one tell the differences between them? Next time I see them for sale I'll pick them up. Bob, thanks for the information.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use