Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Ebay Store. Opinions Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  01:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
So I was shopping on ebay, and I came across this seller who had an interesting selection of old silver quarters, dimes, half dollars, and a bunch of modern stuff.
http://stores.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COIN...2QQpZ4QQtZkm
I was looking at a nice FH SLQ and admiring the fresh mint look of it. It looked like it came fresh from the press without any scratches, toning, wear. nothing. That was cool, so I decided to check out some of his other stuff. After looking at a vast array of pre-1930 silver, I found it interesting that ALL of his coins look practically untouched! I mean seriously, no scratches...not even the slightest bit of toning, NOTHING. I mean, most old silver, even in MS-65 usually have some toning, or occasional bag marks. This set my " ebay red flag" on, since I've learned(the hard way) to be very suspicious. I'm not saying he's counterfeiting, or even cleaning all of his coins....but I just don't understand how a seller would ONLY have high grade coins that appear untouched(and FH/FSB designations galore), at least as far as pre-1930 is concerned. Maybe he came across a giant horde of very carefully preserved coins?

Anyways, opinions?

thanks,
John

Edited by Forum Mom to move from Classic US coins to Ebay/Auction Site Discussions
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, well he guarantee's all coins to be genuine, but he's a bit anal with the return policy.
Pillar of the Community
KurtS's Avatar
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah--I understand your questions regarding those coins. I have some of my own, such as why do so many silver coins have a similar look--is that simply due to photo lighting, or is something else going on? I don't want to speculate too much, but there's something that raises my "red flags" too. Consider this coin:

Ebay-Store.-Opinions-Please.

To me, something about the surface quality of the fields doesn't match the rest of the coin, such as the portrait. As one who's used Photoshop commercially for 10+ years, I suspect some manipulation of that photo--but then again I'm the suspicious type. Maybe he just sells good coins?
Edited by KurtS
05/09/2008 02:37 am
Pillar of the Community
m9frank's Avatar
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add m9frank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bet is he's a very good photographer and/or desktop publisher, using masks or filters or both. I don't know how to do it, but I've learned to recognize it when I see it.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17002 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This seller gets a dishonourable mention by HABIB in the CCF Discouraged Sellers thread, here. Similar comments are made about photoshopped pictures, bait-and-switch tactics, overgrading and cleaned coins when you search the seller's username on other forums, too.

I'm surprised someone with so much "bad press" doesn't switch usernames. I guess his target market are those who see a feedback score of 21,000+ as some kind of guarantee of integrity.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahhh! "halfabustisbetter's" comments on Sap's link matches my impressions exactly. I didn't want to say anything and hurt the seller's reputation if I'm wrong.
Pillar of the Community
KurtS's Avatar
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There you go--proof that first impressions are often correct.
Pillar of the Community
snowman's Avatar
United States
1841 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2008  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's actually pretty impressive how he uses different techniques to make his coins look better. Look how these quarters all have different lighting and focus:

http://stores.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COIN...ftidZ2QQtZkm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Forums