I will try to not monopolize the error forum but have recently joined the community and have years of coins saved that I have recently had more time to look at. I have 5 2001 D Jefferson nickels, all almost identical that I got in a roll I opened at work back in 2002. The date and some wording looked odd so I set them aside. I seem to recall the entire roll being like this but at the time wasn't able to get them all.
This is a extreme case of a VLDS (Very Late Die State) coin. There is ton of die flow lines as the metal was going outwards from all of the strikes. The die was very worn when it struck your coin. Die wear is very common on Nickels because of the coins composition, making the die wear out faster. It's a keeper in my opinion. Excellent example of a very worn die at its end of it's useful life.
There also appears to be an issue with a Struck Through Grease and grit that altered the date devices and field area. Note the Liberty devices size, then compare them with the dates devices sizes. Does not add a premium to this coin, but knowing the causes...... Priceless.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use