Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Caria, Kindya Tetrobol

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,122Next Topic  
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34562 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  3:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
As part of my effort to build out my ancient Greek coin collection, I recently added this tetrobol from Caria, Kindya. The obv features the left-facing head of Ketos, a sea monster, while the rev design is incuse lattice-work. I think that it dates to between 510 and 490 BC.

This type has been posted a couple times previously on CCF, with tons of useful information in those threads by @stevex6 and @thisisfun:

http://goccf.com/t/136484

http://goccf.com/t/175147


I have the attribution as Kagan & Kritt, NC 1995 plate 47,1; Rosen #617, and Asyut #687. As always, please feel free to weigh in with corrections, amplifications, or alternate attributions.


Caria,-Kindya-Tetrobol
Caria,-Kindya-Tetrobol
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always nice to see more Greek additions in your collection, Dave. It's a really interesting type. Congrats. Ex-Pegasi, right?


Quote:
...dates to between 510 and 490 BC.


It's remarkable to me how much the reverse pattern on these resembles the view looking straight up from the underside of a Roman transept dome (or its Renaissance or Neo-Classical imitations), with four converging barrel vaults and even with roundels decorating the pendentives (the triangular areas where the dome meets the vaults) and an oculus in the center. Here's a pic of the Pennsylvania State Capitol, found online, and another, which I took, of the inside the Pazzi Chapel in Florence, which has a single barrel vault, not two:

Caria,-Kindya-Tetrobol
Caria,-Kindya-Tetrobol

But, I expect, the similar appearance must be a coincidence given the timeframe. I know barrel vaults and domes preceded Rome, but I suspect this type of configuration (the Classical transept dome) must have begun with the Romans. Maybe Kindya die engravers could time travel?
Edited by Kamnaskires
03/03/2019 4:32 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34562 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting spatial analysis Bob--not sure about time travel, but it this type of pattern may just have been aesthetically pleasing. I have only seen it described as a "lattice". I'm sure that others here know way more about it than I do.

No, I picked this coin up from Frank Robinson's last auction. If you have seen this coin in an earlier auction, please send me the link as I very much like to record the greatest amount of provenance as I can. Nevermind--I found it on my own--thx for the lead!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
03/03/2019 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Kamnaskires's Avatar
United States
7067 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kamnaskires to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of which, FSR's latest is up and running now.
Pillar of the Community
Finn235's Avatar
United States
6130 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super pick up Dave! More and more I am wishing I had the time and money to collect archaic Greek. While I'm pretty jaded compared to when I started, holding a coin from ~500 BC still gives me a feeling of awe.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin Dave.
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34562 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx guys. I agree the age (i.e. the history) of these pieces is part of what I find attractive.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,122Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums