| Author |
Replies: 50,221 / Views: 1,797,425 |
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1801 Posts |
5:00 pm is the deadline. Funny you mention ice.....
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In memory of those members who left us too soon... In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 - April 15, 2020 In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP. In memory of T-BOP Oct. 12, 1949 - Jan. 19, 2024
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9818 Posts |
I was tossing up between the coin I picked, the coloured version or one of the ice fishing $5 coins, but I wouldn't think you would butcher a $5 coin.
|
|
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts |
I'm not guessing until loonie puts this coin back together. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9818 Posts |
Just reveal and let's move on.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1801 Posts |
Can't reveal at work, just ask yourself....why did loonie pop this core out.....there is a reason.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In memory of those members who left us too soon... In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 - April 15, 2020 In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP. In memory of T-BOP Oct. 12, 1949 - Jan. 19, 2024
|
|
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts |
Ok I guess 2022 summit series coloured Canadian 2 dollars?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1801 Posts |
Not my core Oz. It will all get cleared up when I get home.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In memory of those members who left us too soon... In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 - April 15, 2020 In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP. In memory of T-BOP Oct. 12, 1949 - Jan. 19, 2024
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6871 Posts |
Quote: It will all get cleared up when I get home. It's clear to me that, nobody guessed the correct core 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1801 Posts |
Drumroll please..... Germany strikes again! That's right....Germany. 1996 was the introduction of the toonie. The RCM was trying a new process to make the coin. 2 pieces, ring and core, enter the striking chamber and the strike bonded them into 1 piece. But...as a precaution, the RCM purchased 10 million preassembled planchets from Germany. So there are 2 versions of the 1996 toonie. Most agree that they are hard to tell apart, especially after circulating. The only real way is to pop the core out. The German planchet has a groove on the core for assembly purposes. I got hooked on trying to figure them out by eye. I searched a lot of rolls. Turns out, I got real good at it, even heavily circulated coins as you will see by the pics. I had more than a dozen set aside to do a test one day. Popped the 1st one and got it right. Big smile on my face now. 2nd one...bingo.....3rd one....nailed it. That was enough for me, stopped there. Oz, I put the other 2 back together.  Kept the 1st one here. It is the only year a core identifies the date of the coin. The German Planchet toonie tale is very well known by Canadian collectors, I bet mcshilling had the answer  , but it's not mentioned on Numista, but is on coinsandcanada. TPG used to attribute the German coin, but quit years ago. There has been much discussion on CCF about this. It appears, it's just us who know. After trig nailing me with Q1 I thought I was a cooked loon. Turns out none of you folks were even aware. Q2 had me pondering, as the coin came from Germany and was struck in Canada, does minting involve making the planchet...darn right, but I couldn't give it away, we'll just say....dual citizenship.  So here it is, the core from a 1996 German planchet Canadian toonie.   
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In memory of those members who left us too soon... In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 - April 15, 2020 In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP. In memory of T-BOP Oct. 12, 1949 - Jan. 19, 2024
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6871 Posts |
Well played 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3006 Posts |
Wow  of a backstory Loonie! How close was I in guessing? I at least got the right idea or the right core 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
1801 Posts |
Let's go on the next round.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"
In memory of those members who left us too soon... In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 - April 15, 2020 In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP. In memory of T-BOP Oct. 12, 1949 - Jan. 19, 2024
|
|
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts |
Was this coin issued after 1895?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9818 Posts |
Well played Loonie. Never would have guessed that.
So how do you tell them apart. I have one 1996 2 dollar, so I may need the other one.
Edited by triggersmob 06/16/2023 8:45 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6871 Posts |
What are the odds, that he's playing the ring 
|
| |
Replies: 50,221 / Views: 1,797,425 |