Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Unidentified Indian Duo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,134Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Lucky Cuss's Avatar
United States
4883 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  08:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Picked up a couple of coins yesterday that I'm fairly certain are from India, but I don't have the knowledge to more definitively identify, let alone date, them.

The first is a bronze roughly 19mm in diameter and varying from 8.5 to 9 mm thick. Weight comes in at 20.4 grams. I have minimal confidence as to my chosen orientation in these photos. The edge exhibits interesting scalloping.

Unidentified-Indian-Duo

Unidentified-Indian-Duo

Unidentified-Indian-Duo

The other is silver in composition. The diameter is 13.2 mm and it weighs 2.8 grams. I believe I have these photos right side up.

Unidentified-Indian-Duo

Unidentified-Indian-Duo

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Seeker55's Avatar
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are right, both from India. The silver one is a nice example of a ¼ rupee (Pavali) from Mysore in the name of Shah Alam II, AH 1221/45

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=72269

The copper one is most likely a dam of Akbar. These are difficult to match, and I don't see a date. There are some similarities (but not a match) for example to this coin

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=154378

If I had to guess the mint based on style I would guess Dogaon or Hazrat Delhi, but cannot be sure.
Edited by Seeker55
10/09/2019 11:35 am
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Daves Errors's Avatar
United States
1566 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Daves Errors to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the first coin had a duel use, First as a coin for purchasing goods. Secondly if need be,the thick coin was used in a slingshot to kill there enemies . Cool coins.
Edited by Daves Errors
10/09/2019 12:50 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 1,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums