| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,008 |
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11966 Posts |
This is another first year coin in the new capped bust series. This coin was minted at the end of the War of 1812 which saw the British burn down Washington DC including the Capitol and the White House. The Mint struggled to get back into its business of coinage after the War in late 1815, but only managed to produce 89,235 quarters from a single die pair, 47,150 half dollars using repunched obverse dies carrying the 1812 date (all half dollars that year were 1815/2 overdates) and 635 now extremely rare half eagles that year. Some cents were produced in 1815 according to Mint records, but none had that date - they were all 1814 classic head or the newly designed 1816 dated coronet coins but no one seems to know for sure. I have owned the 1815 quarter before but in a much lower grade. Happy to own a finer example and happy to be back in raw coins which I prefer very much to the slabbed ones. Thoughts? Thanks!   
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18927 Posts |
dang you have some monster pieces.
i cant see any signs of circulation. AU58 or MS63. I'm going with MS63
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
94367 Posts |
I'd have to agree. Really sensational.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5720 Posts |
Another outstanding coin! Decent luster and no visible wear, I'd say MS-63, maybe even 64. I like raw, too, but that one deserves a slab.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4680 Posts |
AU58-MS62, leaning towards MS. Great looking piece!
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
11966 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5301 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
5720 Posts |
Still looks MS, but less luster than I expected, and some odd flattening of the cap. I'd say MS-63 at best if that's not damage on the cap.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
18927 Posts |
the only thing I see is a dividing line from obverse K11 to the hairline. this could indicate that the coin was dipped at some point. I do not believe, if thats the case, that the coin would detail. at worst the coin is AU58. although the surfaces are a little dull I'm still at MS63
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37163 Posts |
Great coin, but AU-58 to my eyes.
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,008 |
|