Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Large Cent Attribution

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,309Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
xshift's Avatar
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2009  9:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi all..

Does anyone know of a web site or an affordable book for US Large Cent attribution? This one is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...=1-4&seller= but was wondering if there was anything else.

thanks
Rest in Peace
pyrbob's Avatar
United States
1943 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Noyes books are the current standard attribution books. You can find them on ebay. I think Charles Davis sells both.
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have Sheldon's book "Penny Whimsy", which catalogs the die pairs on large cents from 1793-1814.
Good book, although the rarity/values given are outdated. I got that used on Amazon.
Pillar of the Community
xshift's Avatar
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi pyrbob.. I did hear that Noye's books were good and updated the rarity tables from earlier books. That link I posted was to an 'anthology' by him, but I have seen 'volumes I and II' by him as well. I have read good things about Sheldon's, Noye's and Newcomb's books, I'm just not sure which are most up-to-date and I was hoping for a less-expensive option. I suppose if I want to collect large cents, though, I should be able to bite the bullet (so to speak) and spring for the attribution book(s) (that book I posted is more expensive than the 5 ones I own altogether, though, so not sure about that either!).

DV thanks, does Sheldon's book have good pictures, enough to attribute those early years? I have one 1803 - the rest are 1831+.
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the pictures in this book are pretty detailed.
But if you just have one prior to 1803, you could post a pic and I'll try to give it a #.
Pillar of the Community
xshift's Avatar
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, it's just 1803, I guess the - was in the wrong spot! But sure, that would be great. I'll fire up the camera!

I was coming back into the topic to post this: http://www.eacs.org/lcctext.htm - everyone's faves are in there, but he says to buy them ALL. argh! I just saw my wallet running from me!
Pillar of the Community
CoinHunter53562's Avatar
United States
2049 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this site will be helpful but I have seen his coins in person many times and it's one heck of a collection...

http://www.earlycoppers.com/

He does have a page of books available:

http://www.earlycoppers.com/ReferenceBooks.htm
Edited by CoinHunter53562
09/04/2009 11:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
xshift's Avatar
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh great! now I'm drooling in my keyboard! :P
Pillar of the Community
xshift's Avatar
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2009  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posted the pics here: https://goccf.com/t/52676

And I'm a total dork.. I posted in modern varieties.. I must be tired!

Thanks for any help you can give toward the variety
Pillar of the Community
CoinHunter53562's Avatar
United States
2049 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2009  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha I know what you mean. I sit there in awe when looking through his cases. I did a very quick and rough count of the retail prices on his coins, and there had to be over $400K worth easily, with some absolutely gorgeous examples.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,309Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Forums