Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall 300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Doubled Dies Of The World

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 399 / Views: 81,439Next Topic
Page: of 27
New Member
Poland
47 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2014  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wojciech_sz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops I notice a lot of miscellaneous minor errors in Turkish dates (like blurred digits). This time I thought I have something better but I didn't have any other 100 000 lira from 2000 to compare.
On the other hand the date on similar 1999 coin doesn't look the same.


Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Edited by wojciech_sz
03/02/2014 2:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2014  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most doubled dies are spotted by the "notching" visible on the ends of letter serifs or pointed design details. Here are a couple exceptions.

The first is an Australia 1943 halfpenny minted in Bombay. This is "class-6" or distended hub doubling produces a die with distorted devices.
It's most obvious in the elliptical shape of the dots, the base of the letters in HALF, and the shape of the star.

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

The second coin is a 1956 penny from the Perth Mint. I think this is a Class-I rotated die. The doubling is rotated so much that it's not connected to the final impression of the letters.
You can see parts of letters counter/anti-clockwise to the complete letters. This is probably due to the hub making an impression on a conical die blank, where it took the final impression to make the design along the rim.

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Pillar of the Community
Sander's Avatar
Netherlands
565 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2014  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here another 2 I found this week in a collection I bought..

Norway, 1 Krone 1949

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World


Here some minor doubling.. but it's a doubled die..
Singapore, 10 Cents 1976



Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2014  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye--the notching you point out is clearly a doubled die.
Pillar of the Community
Sander's Avatar
Netherlands
565 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2014  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another small one..

South Africa, 10 Cents 1971
Some doubling in "South Africa"...



Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Edited by Sander
10/19/2014 10:24 am
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2014  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Class 6 doubled die from Australia. This isn't the "normal" doubled die--it's evident in the thickening of the letter's bases and distortion of the dots and star (arrows).

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Compare to a normal 1943-I:

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Moderator
Learn More...
SPP-Ottawa's Avatar
Canada
10477 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2014  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My contribution, a Canadian 1967 centennial 1-cent, with die doubling on the obverse legend.

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2014  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The SA coin clearly shows notching.
Nice one SPP--I keep wanting to find one of those...
Pillar of the Community
Sander's Avatar
Netherlands
565 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2014  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The SA coin clearly shows notching.
Nice one SPP--I keep wanting to find one of those...


That's indeed a nice one.. Difficult to find that one?
It's now on my want list..

I found one today in my India album.. I think it's one from my first years of collection, otherwise I have no explanation why I missed it..

India, 1 Rupee 1975 Bombay mint.. (on the left and right side doubling)





Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Bedrock of the Community
DVCollector's Avatar
United States
10045 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2014  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sure have a good eye for finding doubled dies!
Moderator
Learn More...
SPP-Ottawa's Avatar
Canada
10477 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2014  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's indeed a nice one.. Difficult to find that one?
It's now on my want list..


It is quite tough to find. I was lucky and found one in mint state red. If you are a member of CONECA, I wrote about this variety in the May/June 2014 issue of Errorscope.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Sander's Avatar
Netherlands
565 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2014  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is quite tough to find. I was lucky and found one in mint state red. If you are a member of CONECA, I wrote about this variety in the May/June 2014 issue of Errorscope.


I'm not a member of Coneca..


Here today's find..
Argentina 20 Centavos 1930.. Not the best quality, but it's a doubled die.. (i paid $0,15 for it..)



Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Valued Member
vietnam-numismatique's Avatar
Vietnam
61 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2014  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietnam-numismatique to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this doubled die coin: Vietnam 1 Dong 1946 KM#3. Sorry the image is not good.

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Valued Member
vietnam-numismatique's Avatar
Vietnam
61 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2014  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vietnam-numismatique to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some better pics for above post

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World

Doubled-Dies-Of-The-World
Pillar of the Community
Sander's Avatar
Netherlands
565 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2014  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can see it..
another one for my list..
  Previous TopicReplies: 399 / Views: 81,439Next Topic
Page: of 27

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Forums