Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Cameo Franklin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,143Next Topic  
New Member
bpackertx's Avatar
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2006  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bpackertx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hello, I am new to this forum. This is my first post. I am still pretty new to coin collecting. I am currently collecting pretty much anything silver. I decided to start with Franklin half dollars because I have always thought they are beautiful coins. I have purchased most of the proofs and several business strikes. One of the coins I bought online was sold as a cameo. When I bought it I thought yea right. Well this coin definitly stands out from the rest. I guess my question is how does a coin come out cameo, and are they worth looking for?
New Member
bpackertx's Avatar
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2006  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpackertx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yea I should add that my profile shows me to be 13 for some reason. I am actually 46.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2006  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bitters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some information that may be of interest to you, about cameo coinage:

https://goccf.com/t/9785


https://goccf.com/t/9772



You can read them tomorrow. It's already almost past your bedtime, kiddo.


Pillar of the Community
madhandles761991's Avatar
United States
577 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2006  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add madhandles761991 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Franklins myself, and I absolutely love the set! I'm working on a complete set of MS (mint state) 64 and above. There are two different classifications a coin can receive. A business strike (use the term MS) coin is one that is minted for circulation. A proof (use the term PF) coin is one that is minted for collectors. It is minted to look beautiful, and the populations are always lower than the business strikes. I don't know how much sense that makes, but someone else will add on to this.
New Member
bpackertx's Avatar
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2006  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpackertx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for the posts and links. It was very informative. I think I am really beginning to get a grasp on things. I think I am hooked.
Pillar of the Community
scoutjim99's Avatar
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2006  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CAmeo Is really desirable and with Franklins Its HArd to come buy, They are out there , But you will Pay a premium. And If I remember correctly They are an example of an Early Die stage or as some companies use to use "First Strikes" They are truley inpressive . And You can get some MS coins Business strikes that have a Cameo Appearance Most evident are Morgan silver dollars. but I do have a few lincoln's, roosefelts, and Jeffersons That show Some Reseblance of a Cameo appearnce
Pillar of the Community
hadleydog's Avatar
Canada
1267 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2006  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard, bpackertx!
Since you are new to collecting, take your time learning your series and how to properly grade for yourself. Perhaps purchasing a few pcgs or ngc graded coins in different grades would give you an excellent standard to start learning to grade your Frankies with.
Have fun!
Edited by hadleydog
12/22/2006 05:25 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,143Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Forums