Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Need Help On Purchasing Scales & Caliper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 1,746Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
153 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2008  9:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add just4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I am now looking at purchasing scales and need advice on what would be good for the money. I want something good, but not cheaply made.

Which is a good caliper to purchase.

Any and all information that would be helpful for me would be greatly appreciated.

Beckie
Edited by just4fun
11/17/2008 9:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Peter THOMAS's Avatar
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2008  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day,
I went in search of a Vernier Caliper.
see this link for some terminology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper

I was astonished to find them at prices from $2 to $90: plastic; cheap alloy; stainless steel - all manner of materials were available.
I bought two, for $2 each: plastic, and the other is chrome-plated.
I got the same answer every time I used them; so I may as well have saved my money.
I'd recommend the plastic: lighter to carry; nothing to rust.

With scales: go for something that uses batteries that are readily, and inexpensively replaced.

While you're out shopping, pick up a magnet: small and cheap is good. Great for detecting some forgeries.

Peter in Oz
Edited by Peter THOMAS
11/17/2008 10:48 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 1 / Views: 1,746Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Forums