I have carried this coin around for 15 years as a good luck piece and have never been able to answer questions about its origin. Now my grandkids are asking and it'd be nice to have an answer. The coin planchet is 28mm or so, rim to rim seems to be around 24mm. There's some verdigris and pitting but it's held up pretty well and even though it's been lost twice it has always found it's way back to my pocket. Sorry to be so wordy, any help is appreciated.
I'm pretty sure it's Caracalla, but it could also be Elagabalus or Severus Alexander. That size and your mention of verdigris means it's likely a sestertius. A weight would be helpful.
I believe I can read "(...)[A]VT KAI ANTON(...)" which should be greek inscriptions for something like Autokrator Caesar Antoninus. So my vote would go either to Caracalla or Elagabalus.
Sadly I am not able to understand the letters before (...)ΠOΛITΩ[N] on the reverse, which could point out the city of origin.
If you carried it for such a long time I will assume it did brought you luck
I believe the legend is (in Greek) "...AURELI ANTON...", which would be a match for either Caracalla or Elagabalus but more likely Caracalla, as by the time of Elagabalus, "Aurelianus" was much more commonly abbreviated to just AVR. I'd agree Marcianopolis - I can read "MARKIA" on the right - which is a city which is now a ruin in modern-day Bulgaria. Seated figures on coins of Marcianopolis are almost always of the mother-goddess, Cybele, on her throne with lions, a popular deity in the region.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Want to say "thanks" to all who have replied to my post. This coin has been lucky for me and I now have several explanations to give to people (the grandkids), and now they can research some on their own. With the interest they've expressed I expect we'll be posting again. Thanks!
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use