I know you aren't supposed to clean coins and I never do, but I just found a nickel roll searching last night and it has a nice error on it. It also has a huge greasy thumb print on it that you can see when you magnify it. I was wondering if there is a safe way to clean that off without cleaning the coin or damaging it. Will Kleenax just rub it around, will acetone hurt the coin or the value of it? Thanks in advance
Just generally-speaking because we have no pics the less you rub a coin the better. Acetone may loosen-up some of the grime but it won't remove the fingerprints unless they're fresh and by that I mean the saline and oils haven't had the time to etch the print into the surface of the coin. If the prints aren't fresh, I don't believe anything can remove them.
Quote: Will Kleenax just rub it around, will acetone hurt the coin or the value of it?
Ummm, rubbing with a Kleenex(or anything else) will be infinitely more damaging than rinsing in acetone which will not harm the metal at all. Old fingerprints can be removed but only with a dipping in E-Z-Est and that brings another set of problems with it.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use