Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 $1 Mob Of Roos

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 5,057Next Topic  
Australia
43 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2015  09:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add smn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Where are they and how much are they worth? Has anyone got one?

The RAM minted 0.008M, what is that? 8,000?
Valued Member
Australia
121 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2015  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is 8,000 pieces, but the problem is, to the best of my knowledge, noone ever found one in circulation or elsewhere.

It is commonly believed that these coins are non-existent.
Valued Member
Australia
121 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2015  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPD.

Here is the good article on this topic. Apparently few were minted as mint sport , but certainly not 8000.

http://www.australian-threepence.co...-dollar.html
Valued Member
Australia
88 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2015  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt_J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good read, I've never found one myself and searched everywhere, cant find any previous sale items or known coins being hed onto, so far it appeears to never reach circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3535 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2015  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to think the same as well. It is quite unlikely that any 1992 dollar coin exist considering so many collectors searching and it's far easier to find NCLT.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
762 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2015  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 1992 one of the collector coin sets that was issued was the Australian One Dollar Five Coin Set. This set included restrikes of past dollars including mob of roos dollars dated 1984 and 1985 and the commemorative dollar for 1992 which was the Barcelona Olympic coin. Maybe an error in the RAM financial report declaring their production statistics was made and these coins have been misidentified in the report.

I don't think that it was an error. Even though the coins had a date of 1984 and 1985 they were struck in 1992 and hence would appear in the 1992 RAM annual report.
The $1 five coin set issued in 1992 would be the most logical explanation for the 8000 MORs minted in 1992.
Valued Member
Australia
56 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2015  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thechacha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently one was found and sold ages ago at an auction :

"Well the odd one has. Back in February 2012 in Downies Australian Coin Auctions number 310 lot number 2493 was described as one dollar 1992 with mob of roos reverse struck on a partially prepared proof blank, as struck and extremely rare estimate $750 and sold for $1,000 ($1190 inc buyers premium). Collectors can recall a few others appearing for sale every now and then but these can be counted on one hand. This suggests they were struck as "mint sport" and not part of the elusive 8,000 circulation coins that have been misplaced!"

Not too bad ey .. you have one dollar and then BAM.. you have $1000 dollars.
Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add geesus_9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone apparently bought one off downies. Thought I might just chuck an update. I also called the mint and the woman who answered said she they must've made 8,000 because it said it on the website. However, I dont think she was taking me too seriously and didnt seem to care :(

https://en.numista.com/forum/topic46400.html
Valued Member
Australia
147 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the woman who answered said they must've made 8,000 because it said it on the website

Thanks geesus_9, I needed a good laugh.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2139 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2022  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there was a sale in the last few years that actually showed images of the coin for the first time: https://www.coincuriosity.com/view/...-dollar.html
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 5,057Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: