Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces 2022 Native American $1 Coin Reverse Design

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 424Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) today officially announced the design for the 2022 Native American $1 Coin. The 2022 Native American $1 Coin will commemorate Ely S. Parker, a U.S. Army officer, engineer, and tribal diplomat, who served as military secretary to Ulysses S. Grant during the U.S. Civil War. When Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia, on the morning of April 9, 1865, Parker rendered the formal surrender documents in his own hand.

Designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designer Paul C. Balan and sculpted by United States Mint Chief Engraver Joseph Menna, the reverse (tails) design features Parker, depicted in Army uniform, with a quill pen and book, along with a likeness of his graceful signature, as symbols of his experience as an expert communicator. The inscriptions "TONAWANDA SENECA" and "HA-SA-NO-AN-DA" recognize his tribe and the name given to him at birth. Additional inscriptions include "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "$1."

The obverse (heads) of the 2022 Native American $1 Coin will continue to feature the central figure "Sacagawea" carrying her infant son, Jean Baptiste, by sculptor Glenna Goodacre. Inscriptions are "LIBERTY" and "IN GOD WE TRUST." The year, mint mark, and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" are incused on the edge of the coin.

The Native American $1 Coin Program is authorized by Public Law 110-82 to recognize the important contributions made by Native American tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States. The public law mandates a new reverse design with an image emblematic of one important Native American or Native American contribution each year.

Check out Native American Dollars on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7660 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed reading about this amazing man! I wish he was much more highlighted in US history classes concerning his life, values, and experiences.

Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Ely Parker made the formal ink copy of General Grant's letter that spelled out the terms of surrender.
"Having finished it, I brought it to General Grant, who signed it, sealed it and then handed it to General Lee" - Lt. Colonel Ely Parker.

At the surrender meeting, seeing that Parker was an American Indian, General Lee remarked to Parker, "I am glad to see one real American here."

Parker later stated, "I shook his hand and said, 'We are all Americans'."

Among members of Grant's staff Parker was known for his fine handwriting, his knowledge of the law, his sense of humor, and as a good fellow to have around in a fight. Parker once described himself as "a savage Jack Falstaff of 200 weight."

I admit I am surprised concerning modern trends that this American hero would be chosen concerning his above writings.

I need one of these

https://www.nps.gov/apco/parker.htm
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
11/28/2021 3:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
108392 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1580 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the reverse of the coin but I never recall learning about Lieutenant Colonel Ely Parker going to school and college in South Florida. According to my high school history education, the Civil War is still going on since we never got further than the start of the Civil War.

Any suggestions as to a good internet reference beside Wikipedia to get some further information about him?
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3606 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We tend to want to view historical figures through a single lens focused on a single instant of history.

The truth is far more complicated - shades of grey not black and white.

https://www.grantcottage.org/events...sses-s-grant

http://www.pbs.org/warrior/content/bio/ely.html

https://www.google.com/books/editio...AAIAAJ?hl=en
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
238 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The American Native coin series is one of the US mints winners.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: