Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 Quarter Could This Be Annealing Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member

159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Edited by Sanaul
01/22/2022 6:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be stained, IMO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but it is not annealing.
Valued Member
159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First started collecting coins and did not know I found this one and soaked it in some w-40 took some acetone to it it all came off now it's back for some reason I do not know why it was a lot worse at first but most of which came back took about a couple weeks but some of this came back I just saved it cuz I always wanted to know why
Edited by Sanaul
01/22/2022 6:36 pm
Valued Member
159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both sides of the coin have the stains but not the reeds
Edited by Sanaul
01/22/2022 6:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the process of clad application, minuscules particle of iron detach from the line mechanism and float. This processes of clad will produce an electromagnetic field on cooper core and nickel which attract those particles and incorporate in the clad layout. Latter the humidity which contain also water will corrode the iron particles. This color you have on the coin is characteristics by color and forms with iron oxidation.

the W40 it is not a supper solution. Work for a moment, exactly how you say, but in order to stop this ongoing reaction, after clean I suggest to vacuum the coin if it is worth enough.
Valued Member
159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're pulling my leg I don't mind I'd be doing the same thing talking to a hobbyist in my profession but if not what does vacuum mean can you explain and why would I do this if it was an error didn't I kind of mess it up by cleaning it and if you're making fun of the way I type it's cuz I have like dyslexia for computers there's a name for it I don't know what it is but when you're on a cell phone it's 10 times worse and if I had to correct everything I would not enjoy being on here at all I try my best I know I have a lot of Miss punctuation and stuff left out words not right but you salt your eyes that you would understand and how correcting it sometimes makes it worse but I see is being fine
Edited by Sanaul
01/22/2022 7:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vacuum food machine will do the job for individual coins or a few not for slabs or capsules. This machine extract all the air and contaminants and seal. Like this no outside intervenient could affect your coin.
Valued Member
159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that too verify it's an error or are you telling me it's an error and that I need to do that to preserve the coin and did I mess it up by cleaning or would it be worth vacuum sealing it and would it retained value after clean if it's not an error I don't want to be just vacuum ceiling it to save it from rotting
Edited by Sanaul
01/22/2022 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2269 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not considered error. The vacuum suggestion was if something is worth and you want to keep long time and not to be affected by the environment.
Valued Member
159 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sanaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay I see now thank you for your patience with me great info
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: