Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thin 2003 10 Cent Coin. Please Explain?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 457Next Topic  

Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  11:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Seenbeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I found a very thin 2003 10 cent coin. See images below showing both faces and an image of it on top of a standard 10 cent coin. As can be seen from the images it is much thinner and its diameter is slightly smaller than a standard 10 cent coin.

I have had a brief look online (noting I have never researched coins before) and I was unable to find anything similar. I am rather curious what could have caused the coin to be so much thinner and if anyone has seen this before? I thought maybe it could be counterfeit but I am not convinced counterfeiting a 10 cent coin is worthwhile.

Thanks.

Edited by Seenbeen
01/30/2022 11:31 pm
Learn More...
Australia
14375 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2022  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin has generally "shrunk" in all dimensions (diameter and thickness) as this coin has, then the usual answer to how it was made, is: acid. A strong acid has corroded all the surfaces evenly, causing the coin to shrink while preserving the details on the surfaces.

No, I don't know what acid to use to make a cupronickel coin do this. Coca-cola will do this to bronze coins, but I don't think it's strong enough for cupronickel. You might need to upgrade to hydrochloric or something similar.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2022  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seenbeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the response. Fascinating that acid can shrink the coin while still preserving the details.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
774 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2022  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting but could be anything including PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1117 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2022  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seenbeen and

Apparently electricity can be used to shrink a coin!
http://www.capturedlightning.com/fr...gallery.html

Edited by coaster
01/31/2022 07:38 am
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Australia
30 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Woah, that's really interesting!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2022  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Fascinating.

But yeah probably acid - the reverse looks a bit pickled, more so that the obverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: