Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Argentina 50 Centavos - Grading?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 246Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OwlBuffs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I wanted to get thoughts from the community about if I should get this coin graded? This was minted for three years and is the least rare out of the three. However, the mintage is only 2,273,000 for 1883. What grade do you think this would get? Thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks maybe at least XF, but the cost of grading might be too much compared the value of the coin.
I'd need to see much sharper enlarged images to get beyound XF to AU.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1699 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There LOOKS to be a slight touch of wear, so don't think UNC, but still solidly strong AU detail. There could be an old cleaning hidden below that tone, can't be certain from those pics.

One of those types that never really come in a low grade... typically little circulation. Argentina started devaluing after this. As such, these are a somewhat common issue in better grades, and there is a big jump in interest/price from the 50c to the peso coin of these years (though the 50c is certainly scarcer/more coveted than the 20c or the 10c).

All in all, IDK... borderline. To compare:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...3-PCGS-au-58
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/l...83-ngc-ms-63
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OwlBuffs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you for your replies! Yeah, I looked at some comparable coins and they sell around a few hundred dollars...I think I'll just wait and hold it as is.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19686 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - probably AU but need sharper pictures to examine the extent of wear on the high points of the design.

Potential value when slabbed not high enough the justify the grading and return shipping fees.

2.3 million mintage would make it scarce by American numbers, but common by Argentinian standards.

Nice coin with significant value, but just keep it in a 2x2 in an archival quality album page.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 246Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: