Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Canada 1 Cent Nice Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
328 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  3:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to my Canadian friends (know a few in Toronto and called on the CBC in Montreal). Anyway I found this 1973 Penny during hunting bank rolls and the reverse is spectacular. Unfortunately the obverse with Queen Elizabeth shows circulation damage which is because of the amount of detail on that side of the coin. I am curious about the marking on the edge close to the rim. The reverse shows hash marks and the obverse has bullet marks. Any reason known for the difference, or is it a design preference? Secondly your pennies have a brass look verses copper which I would guess is the makeup of the planchet of your coins. Take a look at the pics and Regards to all.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4404 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Starting in 1965 and through the 70's, the coins were minted with a .980 copper alloy with zinc and tin (not AL). The "bullets" that you describe are called "beads" and the reverse are called denticles, and the shape of the denticles differ somewhat from year to year and series to series. I'm not into modern coinage, so that's about all I can tell you. I'm a Victoria person.
Edited by okiecoiner
06/13/2022 6:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15797 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill pretty much nailed it.
With the introduction of the new "mature head" portrait of the Queen in 1965, the mint put
beads on the obverse while retaining the denticles on the back of the 1 cent coins.
The makeup of the 1973 cent is .980 copper, .005 tin, .015 zinc.
Edited by JimmyD
06/13/2022 3:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2022  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsaregood to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies and regards.
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2022  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cyraxrulez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like she's crying in pic 3, I like this coin alot for it
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: