Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1930 Buffalo Nickel Doubled Die - DDO-001, FS-101

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 632Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4617 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:07 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend saw this one coming up at auction and let me have a go at it. Ended up winning it and it'll be off to PCGS for reholdering soon enough.

I like the coin overall, especially the alloy streaking, and the doubled eyes are probably my favorite DDO's in the series. This one will be POP 6/0 once relabeled.

1930 Buffalo nickel doubled die - DDO-001, FS-101

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin!

Nice of your friend to point it out!
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5806 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example and a good friend to point that out, congrats!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46557 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a fingerprint on the obverse and is it on the coin or the holder?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that a fingerprint on the obverse

I suspect that is some of the alloy streaking that tropicalbats spoke about.

The doubled eye really catches your eye!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4226 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find! A lot of varieties for this date, most of which I find intriguing as well. Certainly some more extreme doubling when it comes to the DDO's
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71711 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, congrats!
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check jadenusa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jadenusa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cherry pick! This is one of my favs too. Mind asking you what you paid for it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4617 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the great comments! I took another look and am pretty sure that it is, in fact, a light fingerprint on the coin. I don't collect a lot of nickels and haven't really seen that before, it is what it looks like. As for price, I won it at auction for $316, which I consider on the low side for the coin itself let alone with the DDO so quite happy with the whole bit. And it's just a re-holder fee plus variety add so not super expensive to get it re-done.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin, @bats! I love the way these old Buffs tone with age.

Quote:
And it's just a re-holder fee plus variety add so not super expensive to get it re-done.

I have a Morgan dollar that I'd like to send in for variety attribution. Is there a chance that they would "regrade" the coin in that case or is it only a matter of adding the information to the label?
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
1172 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find TB.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4617 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! Bump, they won't regrade it unless you actually submit it for that and pay for a regrade, which you probably don't want. But "reholder" is a separate section on the submission form and only coins going in for just that can go on the form so you may end up with a single coin submission. That gets expensive to mail it to them and get it mailed back plus other standard fees. If it's an expensive VAM I'd go for it but not for one of the lesser ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the follow-up @TB. It is an expensive VAM in an unattributed holder. Just wanted to be sure that the grade wouldn't be subject to dropping just for addition of the attribution.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 632Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: