Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 S Quarter DDR (From Proof Set)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  03:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey!
so I have a 1969 mint set with multiple DDO / DDR's on most of the coins. I know its 1 coin per post, so I'mástarting with the quarter.

I don't see any examples of DDR on VV or wexler's.

" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
a rabbit hole" . I'm here thanks to Gramma <3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1671 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like normal design to me.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinhi really? they is very obvious doubling to me. can add more pictures if needed? thx
" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969-S has only one DDO and 5 (five) RPM's. Your coin is really normal proof strike. What you see is not DDR it is the results of the 3 to 4 strikes for proof introduced in 1969
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Im so confused how this isn't double die. here are a few more pictures.

" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61041 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is called "Flat Field" devices. They are seen only on proof coins. Why?

Because the proof coins are struck twice. So any Machine Doubling on the first strike of the coin happens, the second strike will flatten it. This happens on regular dies and doubled dies.

Often on Variety Vista, you will see this affect, but it has nothing to do with the hub doubling of the doubled die. So always check the Description box to see what is hub doubling.
http://www.varietyvista.com/12%20Ke...4PDDO028.htm

Quote:
Description: Medium quadruple spread on RTY of LIBERTY, and 4 of date, with light triple spread on WE TRUST.

They don't point out Flat Field doubling as it is a striking issue, not a die issue. Why does that make a difference? Because the strikes cause this, not a doubled die issue on the dies. So it can happen on either types of dies, and can been different from strike to strike. So it is not a doubled die.
That is what you are seeing on your coin. Not as strong. The Flat Field doubling will be flat (thus the name), but a doubled die will be raised on the coins devices enlarging the devices. The FFD is not a die issue, but a striking issue.

CoopHome: What is flat field doubling, and why it this not a doubled die? FFD happens during the strike, and not a die issue, but machine movement issue during the strikes (proof coins are struck twice or more on some designs)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/26/2022 2:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much coop!! So then what I'máseeing here, even though its not flat id from multiple strikes?

if thats the case for proof coins, then the 1/2 dollar in the set would also be the same?

I really appreciate all the knowledge you share!
" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61041 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the fields is where the flat field doubling is seen. On the tops of the design, would where you would expect to find spread. So create a set of images of a normal proof coin for that year/proof and make images to match of the same size. Looking too close at something is not always a good thing. It just make it look like something, when it is just too close to look. So include on this outer devices, of at least 4 or more devices in a row to see what is really going on with that area. Then compare the outer sizes of the devices to see, if they are enlarged or normal in size. The affected area could be a high bounce Machine Doubling affect on the tops of the devices. On the image of the Stars, it looks like Machine Doubling on that device. But seeing the images side by side will show if they are enlarged or not. So seeing even full words, sometimes helps to see if it is really enlarged with hub doubling, or contact or high bounce MD. Take the images with the same rotation on both sets of images to compare with. Then make the side by sides to see what is seen then. If no spread, then it is not a doubled die. If no spread in over al size, but an area is reduced in size, it could be contact or high bounce damage on the tops of the devices. But the closer the line is in the centers of the devices, you would expect the devices to be a doubled die if they are really showing spread. Keep us posted on what you find. Post images if you are not able to make them into side by sides. You can get them close on the forum. Post one image with the area below the devices crop close at the bottom. (the normal image) and the image in question, crop the image tops closer. The they will be close enough to be seen on the screen closer. The Max I use for width is 1200 pixels. (Sometimes that is reduced on the screen) Look forward to your results.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: