Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 2.94 Gram Cent Found In Change

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,110Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  06:19 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what does everybody think is it a brass cent, is it a bronze cent or is it a copper plated zinc cent?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17393 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the fields, it looks like a copper plated cent,
possibly struck from a thick planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest putting a Lincoln cent that you know is copper, on the scale (1981 or older), and take a pic and post. That would be the first step in this process.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
11/28/2022 07:27 am
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May we assume that you verified your scale's accuracy by weighing against a known weight?
Edited by fplagge
11/28/2022 07:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48504 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like a copper plated zinc cent to me going by the weight and texture.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75091 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
120678 Posts
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used a 5 gram weight to calibrate my scale. I also compared it to a 1979 cent weighing 2.99 grams on the same scale and a 1982 cent weighing 3.1 grams.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all the Welcoming I am just a novice coin collector and coin roll hunter. What is the name of the test that has to be done to determine the metal content?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3708 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XRF analysis will determine the metal content.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that it weighs the same as your 1979 cent, makes me wonder if JimmyD is not heading in the right direction, with it being struck from a thick planchet. It does have the look of a copper plated zinc cent. If it has much wear, the planters on the reverse are one of the first to show the zinc poking through. Can you give us a clear shot of the whole reverse and closeup of the area I've circled below? Just trying to save you time with the metal content test, not sure how easy that is, or costly.

-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13952 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice if it was copper. But as said above it has the tone of a zinc planchet. Thats a lot of weight for a zinc.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pigeonman333rd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the reverse of the coin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9199 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,110Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: