|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 6 / Views: 922 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
qktbird, they appear to be athletic and academic award medals. The first seems to be in Latin, but my poor eyes can't decipher the script. Hopefully one of our more erudite members will come to your rescue!
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
152 Posts |
Thanks Hondo......that first one pictured is the one that I really like and I can't seem to figure out the letters in the words. Not sure if it's the font or the fancy looking way it's done, but I just can't read it. All I can figure out is "Anno Domini" just above the shield. LoL
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34564 Posts |
@qkt, figuring out that first token took a little guesswork as the font is both gothic and degenerate. However, I am quite sure that the motto at the bottom says "cui servire est regnare" (Latin for To Serve is to Reign). The school name is also listed in Latin as "Sigillum Scholae Grotonensis". Here is a link to their Wikipedia page, showing a similar crest: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groton_SchoolDepending on how deep down the rabbit hole you wanted to go, you could reach out to the alumni affairs office to track down these two students. Finally, one small request for you. Next time, please only post one token per thread so that we can give each one the necessary attention. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
Spence, great job deciphering the text and tracking down the school. Quote: It has one of the largest endowments of any prep school in the country at $477,000,000 as of June 30, 2021. qktbird, if it were my medal I'd be getting in touch with Groton School ASAP!!!
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Moderator
 Australia
17006 Posts |
#2: "Rennen" is German for "run" or "race", so I'd assume it's a race medal. Riederberg is a locality in Austria. I'd assume "III" means it's a third-place medal, and "Kat 4a" would be a subdivision within the race event. I assume the "DöTV" monogram is for some kind of Austrian athletics association sponsoring the event ("Deutsch-Österreich" was the official name for Austria in the early 1920s, and "verein" is "union, club or association").
#3: looks like a generic Sunday School prize medal that's been engraved. It probably would have been awarded for perfect attendance, scripture memorization, or some such. Unfortunately, with just initials engraved, it'll be hard to track down any further information. But I'd assume "MS" engraved in the oval is the name of the school, and "JW" engraved on the other side above the bed are the initials of the winner. As to the date, it appears to be made of pewter or "white metal", so I'd assume it dates from before the widespread introduction of aluminium for such medals in the 1890s.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
152 Posts |
Spence - Thanks for all the great info on the first token. I haven't done a whole lot of posting here so I didn't want it to look like I was spamming with multiple requests. Next time I'll keep things all separated. I really appreciate the link and info you posted. I'll have to dig into it a little and see what else I can learn about it. I really like the looks of it but the font they used has me all messed up and unable to read it.
Hondo - Can I ask why you would get in touch with the school about the medal? I'm just curious what for. I've never really done anything like that before for anything like this. I work a long 5:30pm till 6am shift so usually I collect things and try to do a little research online and when I hit a dead end or don't find anything, I just put it aside for another time but usually never get back to things. LoL
Sap - Thanks for all the info you posted too on the other medals. I'll have to dig into that race medal and see if I can learn anything else about it. Thank for giving me a rough idea on age of the religious medal too!
|
| |
Replies: 6 / Views: 922 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- 2026 Emerging Liberty Dime Spider Veins?
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
- Guess The Price - Season 96 - Round 3
- 20 Questions! (Forum Game) 11/04/24
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- Quarter Roll Searching
- Going Fishing - Checking In On Occassion
- Post Your Coins With Coats Of Arms, Shields, Crests, Crowns, Etc.
- Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels
- My Last Purchase: A Bronze Greek Coin Representing The Poetess Sappho
- How Many Countries Do You Have Coins From?
- How Far Back Can We Go? Ninth Edition!
- Post Your Stories & Pix Of Found Money
- 1885-Zs Mexico - 25 Centavos W/Arcing Die Crack, Tilted & Re-Punched Reverse Die
- 1934 Peace Dollar NGC MS-67+ At Auction
- G L B 49's MS-70 Perfect Silver Coins
- ID Help - Roman Provincial Coin
- 1894 Fifty Cents - Grade This Coin. It May Or May Not Be TPG.
- 1847 Undecimo Edge Great Britain Gothic Crown, Gothic Type, NGC PF61
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |