| Author |
Replies: 16 / Views: 426 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6883 Posts |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7330 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
  United States
15951 Posts |
Quote: Are you driving? Yes, leaving tomorrow morning. It's 330 miles from my house to the fishing center in Wanchese NC. Should be a 6 to 7 hours drive. Neither of us have visited the Kitty Hawk visitors center, so we'll likely stop there on our way down to see the location of the 'first flight'. VRBO check in is 3PM tomorrow so we can have a leisurely drive down. Unlike the annual winter hike where I'm loaded down with gear, this time it's just clothes and some food. The charter boats provide all of the fishing gear, bait and even our NC sport fishing licenses.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9899 Posts |
Sounds like a great time. When I did a one time fishing trip like that I thought it would be fun because I fished 3 of the Great lakes in my own boat and was ok even in the big waves, boy I was sea sick, didn't take anything. Dave take some thing to make sure you will be ok. Have fun and catch that big one.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107840 Posts |
wow - have fun David! Blue water fishing is pretty fun (and tiring).
The last time I went fishing like that was in the Pacific a few hundred miles south of Hawaii (on a US Nay ship)
|
|
Moderator
  United States
15951 Posts |
Quote: boy I was sea sick, didn't take anything. Dave take something to make sure you will be ok. Good point Mike. I've never fished off a boat in the ocean and sure don't want seasick to ruin the day. I've already purchased 25mg Meclizine HCL motion sickness tables, enough for me and my buddy every day. I don't want to be looking green in the photos where I'm holding up some kind of big fish. 
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
3824 Posts |
Sounds like a great trip! I look forward to seeing your pics!
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196342 Posts |
Outstanding! Enjoy the trip! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2458 Posts |
Quote: I don't want to be looking green in the photos where I'm holding up some kind of big fish. . . . . We'll just call face nicely, heavily "toned". 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
9011 Posts |
Have a great time, it's a fantastic area! We used to go to Hatteras every year and had a friend that had a 24 foot skiff. He would take us around the tip of the island, from the ocean side to the sound side (Roanoke Sound). We would catch Blues, Spanish Mackerel on the ocean side and then Red Snapper on the sound side, lots of fun. The local watering holes are great too with fantastic folks. Regardless of the weather, you will have fun.  ADDED: I forgot to mention the Elizabethan Gardens when you first get on the island. Not sure what they are like this late in the year but are beautiful in the summer. LINK https://www.elizabethangardens.org/
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents- Yesterday 2:59 pm
|
|
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts |
Sounds like a fantastic time.
|
|
Moderator
  United States
15951 Posts |
We made it to Wanchecse. Checked into the VRBO and had a nice dinner at the local diner. The fishing harbor at sunset - beautiful.  Front passing through this night means winds too high for blue water fishing tomorrow, so we're going fishing in the Pamlico Sound. I hope to show you some photos of great fish. For sure we are going to have a great time.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107840 Posts |
Quote: I've never fished off a boat in the ocean and sure don't want seasick to ruin the day. Keep your knees slightly bent and as the boat comes up bend more, keeping your head at the same height, and just the opposite when the boat goes down. Now when the boat goes down a lot, ride it keep your eyes on the horizon until the boat rises again. Your legs and bent knees are like little shock absorbers.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196342 Posts |
Quote: The fishing harbor at sunset - beautiful. 
|
|
Moderator
  United States
15951 Posts |
We had a really enjoyable first day of fishing. Caught 5 Bluefish and 4 Spanish Mackerel in a 6-hour trip mainly within Pamlico Sound. The Captain tried to get us out into the blue water through Oregon Inlet but the wind had whipped up the waves where it was just too rough to go out there. None of today's fish were very big, but all fought well and were great fun to catch. Here is my buddy Robbie with a typical Bluefish from the Sound. The mate told us these can get up to 30 pounds in the open ocean.  For dinner tonight we grilled up the 4 Spanish Mackerel - delicious.  These are really impressive (and expensive) fishing boats. Today's was a custom 46 foot boat built specifically for blue water ocean fishing. Here I am after our day trip standing near a row of them at the marina:  The wind forecast for tomorrow is uncertain. We are booked on a charter for 8 hours of blue water ocean fishing. Captain says to meet him at the boat at 6AM and he'll decide what can be done. I'm hoping for a calm sea and blue water fishing tomorrow. 
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 16 / Views: 426 |
Page 2 of 2
|