Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Jefferson Nickels Ebay Lot Is Cheating?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8603 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be wrong but I think that these albums confuse some collectors as to what a set is. A set is whatever YOU want it to be.
Some people consider what is listed in the Red Book of US coins to be those to complete a set. Again, it is up to you.
My set of Jefferson's has changed over time. It started out as one of each kind I could find in pocket change, then it became the best of each kind. Later I added some proofs, then I added all the proofs and some varieties. I am still modifying and adding to my "set".
I don't use Dansco's but there is nothing wrong with them.
I use PVC free plastic pages and put my coins in a certain kind of order that I like and they reside at present in several different kinds of safe holders. That's what suits me. I have added to my set for over 35 years now I suppose.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think that these albums confuse some collectors as to what a set is. A set is whatever YOU want it to be.
I do not think your are wrong. I agree with you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No argument there, TheNickleGuy. That's why I'm kvetching - I can't find a Dansco for my set. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think many would disagree with you. I think everybody is just trying to find the albums that best match their idea of a set, and sometimes partially adapting their idea of a set to what the albums include.

Even though a perfect match isn't possible, I still like having coins in albums, so I use the blanks at the end as a compromise. I do see the merits to TheNickelGuy's approach!

Not sure what to do with my "circulation strikes plus silver proofs but not clad proofs" notion of a set.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. (And there was much rejoicing.)

Dansco offered/offers a replacement page 6 for the 8113, which takes one all the way up to 2011. I previously bought that page and replaced the original page 6 of my 8113, which went to 2005 and then had blanks thereafter. Here's my plan.

1. Buy the 8114, which comes with pages that start at 2006.
2. In the 8113, ditch the 2002-2011 6th page that I bought and replace it with a blank page to hold the early proofs (will have to figure out labeling later)
3. In the 8114, insert the original page 6 of my 8113 for 2002-2006 as page 1. Thus the 8114 starts at 2002 instead of 2006. (Might rub some folks the wrong way but it doesn't say anything about the years included on the spine or the boards of the albums.)

The downsides/caveats that I can think of are:
1. It departs from Dansco standard - but who really cares. My collection, my rules. Plus the spines don't include dates. :)
2. There will be unlabled blanks on the new page 1 of my 8114 since there are 35 holes on that page but only 23 (2002-2006) are labeled. I suppose I could stick errors, doubled dies or whatnot in the blanks instead.
3. How to label that is consistent and complementary to the existing Dansco labels?
4. Some folks (as mentioned earlier in this thread) consider the Jeffersons to have a transition starting at 2006 with the new obverses. Would be nice to split the albums up that way but then I have to include my pre-70 proofs in my 2006+ folder? Not.

Sorry for the thinking out loud. It has helped me solidify my game plan though. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4130 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 8113 should have room for one extra page. Why not use the 2002-2006 page with the blanks, plus another blank page for your earlier proofs in the 8113? That way you can have a nice clean break at 2006 and keep all the coins with the appropriate era.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well cr@p. You blew my entire sinister and overly-complicated plan out of the water with one elegant suggestion.

Thanks! :)

I guess I wasn't sure the 8113 would take another page. I thought it looked pretty tight as-is but giving it another glance...well...you're quite right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The companies that make the albums/folders try to design them for most how people would want to organize their sets. But you can't please everyone all the time. You could always get a blank album and "create your own". I do that sometimes.

I never considered the 2006 to date nickels as a separate series. Now if they had changed to the 3/4 view of Monticello I would reconsider. I just don't understand why they went back to the original (enhanced) view of Monticello.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just don't understand why they went back to the original (enhanced) view of Monticello.

That and a million other things the Mint does or doesn't do.

If they would only ask a few experienced and knowledgeable coin collectors, we'd have the best coins in the world!
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even though a perfect match isn't possible, I still like having coins in albums, so I use the blanks at the end as a compromise.
Agreed. I also have no problem using completely blank pages. My custom "Indian Head Cent, Buffalo nickel, and Mercury dime" Dansco album has six blank pages, which allowed me to skip all of the over-dates and other varieties included in the official Dansco albums. No, I have not labeled the holes, but I have considered it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my nickels arrived today... but it's too late and I don't have the energy to photograph them and put them in my Dansco tonight. They look pretty nice at first glance in the packaging. Will get some pics up in the next day or two.

So, now that I have almost a complete proof-only subset, I need to get crackin' on the rest of the proofs. But..how do you tell a regular 1938 from a '38 proof?
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So my nickels arrived today... but it's too late and I don't have the energy to photograph them and put them in my Dansco tonight.
Your will is strong. Much stronger than mine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck -- hahaha.... my exhaustion was stronger than my will last night. As it is currently....

Yet I did manage to unwrap the nickels and get them into my Dansco today. Pretty good stuff. Some have slight marks, which I was expecting, considering they were broken out of mint packaging and probably not taken care of as well as some of the other coins in those sets. I'll upgrade a few with the worst marks, but even those are acceptable as-is. For a non-graded set, I'm pleased; a good way to kick-start my collection. Thanks for the advice. I'd post pics but we've all seen shiny proof nickels, so I think I'll hold off on pics until I complete the album.
Learn More...
United States
84101 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10296 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any suggestions for sources of good lot(s) of P & D UNC nickels? I kind of like knocking out large chunks of a collection at once.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05