Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which US Mint Packages Contain Ikes [eisenhower]

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,270Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

hey GR58, Let's say you were starting from scratch and trying to put a set of Ikes together. Would you try to find the best grade coins possible (not talking about buying slabbed coins where the grade is "known" and the value is assessed based on the market... but raw in the OGP coins?

Is filling a hole the key for you or is filling the hole with the best possible coin you can find- and upgrading it if you find a better one?

I'm just curious as to which philosophy is more mainstream for album collectors and raw collectors.

I was taught to always by the key date coins' first and fill in the common later, because a common coin will always be a common coin. That being said, take a look at some brown and blue ikes - you can find some pretty big differences right off the bat. The average dealer isn't taking the time to really stare at them - they are just sold for their silver value and perhaps a small premium.

If you want some nice proof's - take a look at some of the PCGS pr 69 dcam - they are available en mass - and often for not much more than you'd pay to have it slabbed. if you were going the slabbed route.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most pr69dcam's aren't though. that's the problem with Ike Proofs. Get them only if they are clean and fully cameo'ed. I think about 40% of the PR69DCAMS are overgraded from my experience.
Charles Morgan
Editor of CoinWeek.com & Host of the CoinWeek Podcast.

Co-Author of 100 Greatest Modern World Coins - out now from Whitman.
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimHSoars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK ibab & Carson City five 9's:

I bought my first brown Ike, a 1971, last week. It wasn't in its box, but the Mints plastic case was intact. There were also two brown Ikes with NGC tape, with a grade, wrapped around the Mint's slab. I'll begin to include slabbed Ikes in my search!

As for DCAM or DCAMS I suspect DC is for deep cameo. What does AM or AMS mean?

- Jim
Edited by JimHSoars
03/08/2012 8:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DCAM is for deep cameo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7725 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see an image from where you got these acronyms from.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  03:04 am  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative. Thank you everyone for sharing.
I'd just googled "brown pack ikes" and this thread was on the first page.

NICE!
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 2,270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05