Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1924 Huguenot-Walloon 300th

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,652Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  8:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight we have a look at the commemorative half-dollar struck to mark the tercentenary of the founding of New Netherland by Walloons (French and Belgium Huguenots). The coin is presented via an example in PCGS MS-65.

The New Nertherland Colony was, at its core, a business venture that was founded to protect the fur trading interests of the Dutch West India Company (DWIC). As a follow-up to previous Dutch explorations and their associated construction of temporary forts and trading posts, the DWIC sent a group of settlers (mostly Walloons) to establish permanent settlements in the new claimed territories in 1624 and 1625. Present-day New York City is just one of the areas that was settled by the Dutch at this time as part of New Netherland.

Read More: Commems Collection

The Huguenot-Walloon half-dollar features conjoined portraits of Admiral Gaspard de Coligny of France and William the Silent of the Netherlands on its obverse, and the sailing ship Nieu Nederland (or New Netherland) on its reverse. The coin was modeled by US Mint Chief Engraver George Morgan from designs suggested by Rev. John Baer Stoudt, Director of the Huguenot-Walloon New Netherland Commission. It was Morgan's last coin, as he died just weeks after its completion.

The Huguenot-Walloon half-dollar was criticized on several fronts at the time of its authorization and minting. First, some argued that the US Government should not be striking coins for a religious group (the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America sponsored the coin via the New Netherland Commission) as it was counter to our Constitutional separation of church and state tenets. Second, the depiction of Coligny and William the Silent on the coin was criticized with the argument that they had nothing to do with the founding of New Netherland and were, in fact, dead for decades before any colonization attempts were made. The execution of the designs by George Morgan was also criticized by James Earle Fraser on behalf of the US Commission of Fine Arts.

I'll leave the first point for others to debate and move on to the second. The position that neither Admiral Gaspard de Coligny nor William the Silent were involved in the actual founding of New Netherland is born out by the facts, but the Huguenot-Walloon New Netherland Commission didn't select them for the coin based on their direct involvement in the colony. Per their record of the tercentenary celebrations, they noted that "As early as 1562, Admiral Coligny of France made an attempt to gain a foothold in America, and provide thereby a refuge for his fellow ‘heretics' whose long decades of martyrdom he foresaw only too clearly." Regarding William the Silent, the Commission described him as a "protagonist of colonization" and considered him "the champion and protector of the Huguenots" and noted that he "pointed the way which was so successfully followed by his countrymen later on..." So, it appears in the Commission's eyes, Coligny and William were the inspirational catalysts for the later Huguenot involvement in the New Netherland colonization and therefore worthy of being remembered.

Regarding Fraser's criticism's of Morgan's work, let's leave it at Fraser and Morgan had long-standing disagreements over coinage design and how models were reduced to create coinage dies -- the Huguenot-Walloon coin was just another (but the last) example.

To learn more about the Huguenots and the religious persecution they faced in Europe, please see either The Huguenot Society of America http://huguenotsocietyofamerica.org/) or The National Huguenot Society http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/general/) for more.

The coin shown is a nice satiny example with strong cartwheel luster on both sides.

I've also included images of a few pages from the volume created by the New Netherland Commission to record the history of the tercentenary celebrations. Interestingly, the volume discusses the coin but does not include a picture of it, though it does include pictures of all three stamps that were issued for the occasion.

Enjoy!

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary -- Obverse

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary -- Reverse

Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Book -- Title Page

Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Book -- New York Proclamation

Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Book -- Coin & Stamp Page 12

Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary Book -- Coin & Stamp Page 13

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/04/2012 8:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Timely post for me, thanks!

This is one of several commems I've got my sights on. Although I'm not a naval person, I admire the definition and detail that can be found on a nicely struck ship such as this reverse.

Good read.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As someone who comes from a Naval family I always appreciate the coins with that type of imagery. I love the reverse of this coin
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

There is a lot of history that I did not know about this one. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7071 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2012  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another amazing post recounting the behind-the-scenes story of this series as related to this lovely MS65 example.

I believe most collectors consider this example to be a tough coin to appreciate ... hoping that your well-informed history lesson inspires a few folks to consider this coin ...

Quote:
I love the reverse of this coin

Agreed ... sailing ship imagery will forever be popular ... and commens (of course) has it correct that the reverse image depicts the good ship Nieuw Nederland.

Comments on this coin ... I assume the hazy surfaces on the obverse about the legend IGWT are an artifact of the scanned images ... satin luster is how most of these in Gem grade appear ... evidence that the coin has avoided most dippings over the years.

Another great coin and lesson commems ... 9 to go?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Agreed ... sailing ship imagery will forever be popular ... and commens (of course) has it correct that the reverse image depicts the good ship Nieuw Nederland.

Come to think of it I cant think of a sailing ship type imagery like that that I havent enjoyed especially with historical ships like that
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2014  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm late to the party on this one and was really glad to get the history of this coin. Thank You. It's on my list of "wants" because the ship on the reverse. Love those ships....
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2014  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augiedog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a nice coin...definitely on my want list too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05